Car Cleaning

One area of the car that always suffers in my ownership is the paintwork. I love my Zaino polish that brings a DEEP WET shine to even my old non-clearcoat paintwork but the paint is really starting to suffer its age. Its going dull in patches and it absorbs oil and grease like a sponge.

Has anyone tried clay bars to remove the faded patches and oily deposits? Previously i would have just t-cut them out or used a mildly abrasive polish but the paint is starting to get thin in spots and im fighting a losing battle!

Thoughts welcome...

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Hmmm...I've only used clay bars to remove rail dust. For refinishing, I use either Meguire's or 3M Fill 'n Glaze and a light buffing.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku ???? mumbled incoherently to the rest of alt.autos.toyota:

Forgive my ignorance but... rail dust?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

That stuff is HELL on paint.

It's a metal (steel / iron) dust kicked up by trains that's created by the friction between the wheels and the rails.

Rail dust settles on cars and RUSTS, on top of the paint!

It's also the reason why everything around the tracks is reddish-brown in color.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

A lot of cars here, but especially Domestics are shipped by rail. The wheels riding on the tracks causes what resembles iron filings (or, if you've ever seen what a foundry spews out, it's quite similar) and it adheres to the paint. It doesn't was off, so we use detailing clay to remove it, and then there is a treatment after using the clay. That was for the Lincolns and Mercurys. Believe it or not, Ford was really picky about how the rail dust was removed and treated.

Most Toyotas are moved by truck, so you didn't see it often on them.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Bonehenge (B A R R Y) mumbled incoherently to the rest of alt.autos.toyota:

Well you learn something new every day don't you!? Thanks! Sounds similar to what I had to get off after anglegrinding my (well my cars) rusted under-body for 2 days solid - it settled on everything around and then proceeded to rust on top of everything - im sure its what caused a stone chip on my bonnet to go wild when it was happy before!

Thanks guys

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Hachiroku ???? mumbled incoherently to the rest of alt.autos.toyota:

Thanks for the enlightenment - something id never have considered!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

In my case, I used to park next to the New Haven line. 8^(

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I used to live near a foundry that built boilers, and had to hose down the cars and throw soapy water on them before I even TOUCHED them with a sponge! It wasn't as bad as rail dust, but pretty damn close.

Reply to
Hachiroku

That had to be tuff on your lungs as well I would think...

Reply to
Danny G.

Hmmmm...I bet it was...

So is 27 years of Marlboros!