Celica Flasher relay

Having pulled this out due to 'disco flash' syndrome with all bulbs fine, on both indicator directions including hazards, I found it to be microprocessor controlled. Toyota want a monsterous amount for it, anyone got a diagram of it as I'll just make a new one?.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I'd have to check the wiring diagram for any unusual things, but I'll bet you can drop in a standard USA'n Heavy Duty flasher. Especially if it's a 2-wire system with Power In, Flash Out, and possibly a Ground reference lead for the timing electronics that a standard flasher will not need.

If you see more than three wires, stop.

DO NOT cut the plug off the wiring harness, make adapter wires from male-tab and female-tab crimp connectors. You may want to put it back the way you found it.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Hey, CB, what year Celica is this?

Sometime in the 90's, Toyota went to "Relay Integration" which is an array of mini and micro electronics that took the place of a lot of the realys in their vehicles.

Last I checked, the module was $175 for a '99 Toyota Pre-Runner that had a couple of electrical problems related to this little piece of VooDoo...one being the 'disco flashers'. And that was with a discount.

If you want to make a bypass of some sort, you will have to trace down (obviously) the inputs and the outputs of the circuit. Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Tis a '91 GT-Four ("Alltrac" to you guys)

Yota wanted about 125$ equivelent for this, i can get one second hand for about 50 but I'd rather know it wasnt gonna fail in a week if you know what i mean. I pulled it out a while ago when it first started going flash...flash...fl........flash....flash... and it still passed the MOT but now it goes fla...fla...fla............fla...fla...fla and wont LOL. I just remember it being a fairly large transparent relay casing with a mini extra pcb inside and a tiny 8pin microprocessor linked in. If I can trace the inputs and outputs I'll just reprogram another similar microprocessor and replace it, if not i may take the crowbar alternative of wiring in a normal flasher.

Ta J

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Holy Crap! You can do that?!?!?!

What do you do in Life as we know it?

I was an Elec Tech for 19 years and I'd have a tough time setting up a MicroP for this task!

Damn! He's GOOD!

Reply to
Hachiroku

lol, not really but thanks! originally got a masters in Integrated Engineering (all core work from mechanical, electronics and materials engineering) but currently doing a PhD in visual servoing of robots, teach a bit of basic microprocessor stuff on the side for cash and use it for the odd mini home project.

Sod all experience with analogue circuit design though so i have to ask for help on all but the basics of that LOL...i.e. I'm currently writing code to visually control a radio controlled car, but I need to ask the tech what resistors and capacitors to use to interface with the outside world! Transistors - well unless its a mosfet being crowbarred on or off with PWM I know nothing! They always chuckle at me when i arrive with a confused expression on my face and a burned out component in hand :)

Incidentally, you might (or might not, depending on if you're at my level of geekness) find the megasquirt DIY EFI world interesting

- im currently trying to get my celica running on one of those - its kinda fun but you have to create a hefty daughterboard to condition the timing and knock signals - thank god they have existing diagrams!

Coyoteboy

This IS just plain GOOD!

Don't forget to check this out:

WOW!

Reply to
FanJet

That's why Engineers design blue-sky stuff, and Technicians actually make it work.

I still say trace out the box and see if there's anything in there besides just a timing circuit and possibly the current sense circuit that triggers the stutter-flash when the lamp load drops too low. If it only has two or three wires coming and going, it almost has to be 'just a fancy flasher'.

Hell, crack the box open - you might find a trim-pot inside the Toy flasher for the current sensing circuit that just needs a little tweak to get it all running back to normal. (Make a hash mark at the starting point, so you can put the setting back there if that isn't it.) Remember that component values drift as they age.

The Grote 'GroTronic' truck flasher has a small circuit board inside with a timing chip that kicks the output relay, so the flasher holds the same steady rate whether it's driving one or sixteen lamps. And it costs a whole lot less.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'm working on being able to do both (I can in mechanical stuff) - only takes time and I've only being doing the electonics side of things for a couple of years (other than spare time robotic projects).

Unfortunately almost everything you learn these days is based on programming and very little hardware and those who can do the hardware side tend to be rather smug and conceited and unwilling to help us mere mortals learn lol. Id say a Im at a point where i know what should work, and the theories behind them and roughly what to look out for but just havent spent the last 20 years doing it so miss the experience and "off the cuff" knowledge of components. Gimme a datasheet, a coffee and a bit of time and I'll figure it out, i just dont have time generally :)

OK you convinced me, I'll crack it open and trace it out - i like a challenge :) Might teach me more too!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Groovy isnt it, i was hooked when i got my kit (you can buy them assembled). So far I have: Fuelling, dual 12x12 tables and dual boost tables for 'valet parking mode' (mapped to 20psi) Knock sensing Wideband AFR sensing Boost control including intake temp sensitive boost levels and timing adjustment Full spark advance control Fan control Variable induction control

I didnt bother with the launch control and fancy stuff like shift lights, i just want it functional - and it will be fully fitted within the stock ECU case and use almost all the stock ECU harness :)

Coyoteboy