Help removing flasher unit for directional. - 1990 Jeep Wrangler

I'm having trouble removing the flasher unit for my directional signal on my 1990 Jeep Wrangler (by flasher I mean the cylindrical shaped
switch mounted just above the fuse box) I assume it just pulls straight up, but it doesn't seem to want to budge and I'm afraid of breaking it. Does it just pull out in a straight upward direction?
My real problem is that my left side directional won't blink. All of the bulbs are good. The metal socket mounting for the left rear is extremely rusted. I bought a new socket for the directional bulb, (but not the whole mounting which has the sockets for the three bulbs in the tail light) but it still won't blink. I actually doubt that it is the flasher since it does flash for the other side, but at since I am desperate, I'll try replacing that.
Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong?
Thanks much
Ken
The socket has to be grounded to the body solidly or it won't blink. If the socket was that rusted then likely the screws that hold the light fixture are rusted too which kills the ground.
The running lights use a wiring harness ground instead.
I soldered a wire onto the sockets to use as a ground when I installed my 'glass body. I then grounded that wire.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Go_Cart_Mozart_Ma wrote:

Hi Ken, Ordinarily, I would say if it works correctly on one side, the problem is in the connections, ground or bulb on the other side, acting like a resistor, but if your YJ is like this TJ's with four and five prongs then maybe it is the flasher:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/oyrcorners_led/images/oyr18.jpg
God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Go_Cart_Mozart_Ma wrote:

Ken, you have to twist, a little to the left, i believe, then pull out, maybe right, i just replaced mine a month ago, and took me awhile to figure it out, johnp 90YJ
Go_Cart_Mozart_Ma wrote:

signal
straight
it.
(but
the
the
Thanks all for the help.
As it turns out, the socket has 2 leads that connect internally to the 2 leads on the bulb. I had thought that one lead on the socket was hot and the other was ground. It turns out that both are hot and the side of the socket is ground. When I connected the proper hot lead to the hot source and the side of the socket to ground, it started blinking fine. So it wasn't the flashing unit.
Thanks, Ken
Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

out,
of