Help removing flasher unit for directional. - 1990 Jeep Wrangler

I'm having trouble removing the flasher unit for my directional signal on my 1990 Jeep Wrangler (by flasher I mean the cylindrical shaped switch mounted just above the fuse box) I assume it just pulls straight up, but it doesn't seem to want to budge and I'm afraid of breaking it. Does it just pull out in a straight upward direction?

My real problem is that my left side directional won't blink. All of the bulbs are good. The metal socket mounting for the left rear is extremely rusted. I bought a new socket for the directional bulb, (but not the whole mounting which has the sockets for the three bulbs in the tail light) but it still won't blink. I actually doubt that it is the flasher since it does flash for the other side, but at since I am desperate, I'll try replacing that.

Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks much

Ken

Reply to
Go_Cart_Mozart_Ma

The socket has to be grounded to the body solidly or it won't blink. If the socket was that rusted then likely the screws that hold the light fixture are rusted too which kills the ground.

The running lights use a wiring harness ground instead.

I soldered a wire onto the sockets to use as a ground when I installed my 'glass body. I then grounded that wire.

Mike

Go_Cart_Mozart_Ma wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ken, you have to twist, a little to the left, i believe, then pull out, maybe right, i just replaced mine a month ago, and took me awhile to figure it out, johnp 90YJ

Go_Cart_Mozart_Ma wrote:

signal

straight

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Thanks all for the help.

As it turns out, the socket has 2 leads that connect internally to the

2 leads on the bulb. I had thought that one lead on the socket was hot and the other was ground. It turns out that both are hot and the side of the socket is ground. When I connected the proper hot lead to the hot source and the side of the socket to ground, it started blinking fine. So it wasn't the flashing unit.

Thanks, Ken

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

Reply to
Go_Cart_Mozart_Ma