Celica Oil Change

Hey all,

My celica's due for its 165,000 km service, and when I rang the Toyota service centre, the guy said that all it was, was an oil change and that it was going to cost $150. A guy in my office said that all it is is draining the oild, replacing the filter then filling up with new oil. Is he right? He said it would cost alot less and its pretty easy to do.

TIA

-Michael-

Reply to
Michael

Did you call Jiffy Lube? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Jiffy Lube?

I don't think we have "Jiffy Lube" in Australia

-Michael-

Reply to
Michael

Follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. When you have run through all of the services, they start over again. You can take the car to the dealership and ask if they have a printed maintenance schedule. Dealerships often recommend more service than the factory does so if there is a discrepancy, you can safely follow the manufacturer's schedule.

Reply to
Ray O

And you should thank the MP that kept them out! I guess Aussies cherish their cars more. OTOH, the plug could fall out and you could get yourself a new engine on Jiffy Lube!

Glad I don't live in Oz if an oil change is a buck and a half!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks, Think I will try to get a copy of a maintenance schedule, but in the mean time I think I will try changing the oil myself, prolly talk to my dad about it, he's not bad with cars.

-Michael-

Reply to
Michael

If you want to learn how to work on your car, changing tires and changing the oil and filter are the easiest places to start. Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

What is this "Jiffy Lube"? guessing its a store? but yeh 150 is a bit much for just an oil change ><

-Michael-

Reply to
Michael

Jiffy Lube International is a wholly owned subsidiary of Shell Oil Company and is a chain of service centers in the U.S. and Canada specializing in quick oil changes. Most of their service centers are franchised but some are company owned and operated.

Reply to
Ray O

Taken from a 1994 celica manual.

105,000 MILE (168,000 KM) SERVICE

Service Or Inspect

Verify Last Major Service Was Performed

Brake Lining & Drums

Brake Pads & Discs

Brake Line Pipes & Hoses

Steering Linkage

Drive Shaft Boots

Ball Joints & Dust Covers

Transaxle Fluid

Steering Gear Housing

Replace

Engine Oil & Filter

Reply to
FantomFan

Geeze, Ray, you sounded like a spokesperson for Shell there! I guess once a MFG's Rep, always a MFG's rep! I didn't realize they were owned by Shell. I would have expected more in the way of quality from a company owned by Shell, instead of the horror stories of loose and missing plugs, old oil left behind, overfiling, etc., and the story of the dumping cool coolant into a hot motor told in this group earlier.

Our friend Michael should hope they don't come to Oz!

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! Actually, I just cut and pasted from Jiffy Lube's site.

I am not a huge fan of Jiffy Lube. I went to one once to get the oil changed in a car before I sold it, gave them a Toyota oil filter, and got only a $1 discount from the price of the oil change. The Jiffy Lube closest to my house is the official used oil recycling collection place in our town and they don't do a good job at that. I bring the oil in 2-1/2 gallon containers, they turn it upside down in the funnel for their waste oil container for about 5 seconds, then hand it back to you with a good portion of the oil still inside and dribbled oil all over the outside of the container, so I have to remember to bring paper towels to wipe the outside off before putting it in the back seat of a car.

Reply to
Ray O

$1.00 is not much different that what they pay at wholesale for the crappy filters they use (which retail for about $2.49).

Reply to
Mark A

Yup, another reason why I do not go to Jiffy Lube. There is only a dollar or two difference between the prices for an oil change at Jiffy Lube and at our local Toyota dealer, which is why I recommend the dealer for people who don't change their own oil.

Reply to
Ray O

I spend that in oil alone and filter on my Celica GT-Four, and do the work myself lol.

Coyoteboy

I coulda sworn "Coyoteboy" typ'd:

What th . . . . ???

A hundred and fifty dollars for oil and a filter for a four cylinder car engine??

What's the catch?

Some other dollars than US $ I'm guessing.

Or some "special" oil, maybe?? (Although I can't IMAGINE what kind of oil that would be -- I can get good synthetic at WalMart for less than twenty bux for a complete oil change.)

Maybe the filter cost -- for a lifetime supply . . . .

Which is it?

-Don (curious)

Reply to
Don Fearn

The OP was in Aus so i was talking aussie dollars at a rough conversion of

150 ~ 50 UK£ which is ~ 80/90USD??

My oil is indeed a special synth @ £40 per UK gallon (normal synth is £25-30 here) and i need 5.2ish litres (1 and a bit gallons) plus a filter from Mr T at around 20USD a go. Every 3-5000 miles depending on how it was abused.

Good and 300 fly hp from a 2 litre 4-pot lump, you need all the protection you can get!

Coyoteboy