Changing sparkplugs in Sienna

I have a 2000 Sienna that just turned over 60,000 miles. The owners manual says I should replace the spark plugs. I can do the 3 facing the front but how do you get to the 2 facing back? I figured out how to do this.

Andy Arhelger

Reply to
Andy Arhelger

There are 3 spark plugs on each bank.

Reply to
Ray O

Remove the PCV hose on the left (passenger side) under the intake. Move any wire out of the way. Use two 3' extensions. Long small hands will help, -:). Do it slowly and be careful not to knock loose any connectors or hoses accidentally.

Reply to
XYZ ABC

Two 3' extensions? And do you reach them from the top, I suppose and not from underneath?

Andy Arhelger

XYZ ABC wrote:

Reply to
Andy Arhelger

Yep, two 3' extensions. One is too short for the plug hole. One 6' is too long to get into the hole back there. You have to make the connection back there after inserting one first.

Yes, you reach back there from the top of the engine, under the intake. You can get the left one from the left and the right two from the right (through the center of the half circle of the intake).

Reply to
XYZ ABC

Something has been /really/ bothering me every time I read this...

Are you two really talking about a three FOOT (36 inch) socket extension when you use the abbreviation 3' ? Or are you mis-typing a three INCH extension, which should be abbreviated as 3" ? ;-P

Ignoring the fact that most people don't have arms long enough to work with a three foot extension (let alone two coupled end to end) without a helper to guide the socket end as you crank the handle...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Same here!...I can't picture someone using 'that' on a car!...but then it was used several times the same way...gee...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

My bad, it's 3 INCH, of course.

Reply to
XYZ ABC

Changed the sparkplugs last night. Wasn't too tough. The 2 in the back on the drivers side were not too bad. The one on the passengers side is harder. Using 2 3" extensions worked good. I (my son actually) ended up having to reach around the intake manifold from both sides one hand on each side with my chin on almost on the windshield.

Thanks for the tips.

Andy Arhelger

Reply to
Andy Arhelger