Charging/discharging the '05 Prius 12V battery

HI. This topic evolved within my thread about adding always-on 12V sockets to the Prius.

I know that in the engine compartment's fusebox there's a terminal to be used for jump-starting the car. In fact it warns it's the ONLY positive terminal to which a jumper should be attached. That raises some questions....

Is the high-voltage battery totally isolated from the 12V battery?

Is the main battery ever used to start the gasoline engine? With the cost of fuel today maybe that should be spelled "gaso-lien"? :-(

Does the gas engine have a traditional alternator that charges the 12V battery?

Does *all* the non-traction circuitry get power from the 12V battery?

Thank goodness for the knowledge in this group!

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

Nope...12V runs down, car won't start at all

Reply to
Hachiroku

Went to a class where the hybrids were talked about some; One of them (either the Honda or Toyota) allows for 2 start attempts from the high voltage battery. Good option for when you "old school" battery is dead.

Reply to
Steve H

Must be the Honda...

Reply to