Dealer's applied rust protection

Is there any value to the rust protection and spray offered by new car dealers ? Why is this offered instead of the factory one? Is this a rip off ? Thanks.

Reply to
malamilia

  1. How much is it?

  1. Does it have a brand name?

When I bought my Corolola GTS way back in 1986, I bought it from the Service Manager at the Toyota dealer. I mentioned Rustproofing and Undercoating. He told me NOT to do it, since they usually ADD to the rust problem.

The car finally started getting rusty about 2000-2001, a good 15 years after it was first put on the road.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
malamilia

Usually not. All cars come with some factory rust proofing and most manufacturers, including Toyota, have come a long ways. Toyota recocommends that underbody rust proofing not be applied and you should not develop any exterior surface rust for at least 10 years unless the paint is damaged.

According to some very credible posters in this forum, there are a couple of very good products sold in Canada that work if they are re-applied annually.

Reply to
Ray O

It was an option when I bought my Jeep Wrangler - but I didnt buy it for the rust protection as much as an insurance that they would fix problems beyond warranty. Sure enough, one of the panels started to rust after 5 years and they fixed it. However, I never had that issue on Toyotas.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Why is this offered instead of the factory one? It's not.

Yes

You're welcome

Reply to
FanJet

Idiot. Ever hear of a google search? Do you think you're the first person to ever ask this question?

Reply to
dizzy

Well, there was Florida Scott last week...

Reply to
FanJet

Then we might not ask any more questions - according to you. Because it was asked at least once before.

I say ask away.

Reply to
Dan J.S.