chirping/squeaking noises from body

On a rough road, I my '97 camry makes chirping/sqeaking noises which seem to come from the body generally (sounds like stuff behind the
dash is loose). The ride itself is pretty good, the car is not low (ground clearance is better than most).
Do some body bolts need tightening or is it time for new struts?
Thanks a lot, Vijay
On Wed, 30 May 2007 07:28:22 -0700, Vijay Bajwa wrote:

There used to be a recommendation in the manual (nobody ever follows it) for tightening body bolts. Where are they? I don't know! Could be this is the source of the noise.
How many miles on the car? Could be the springs, but you say it comes from behind the dash. This would require removing the instrument panel and hunting it down. I had this happen with a Nissan, and it was a pain.
If there's a clunking with it, it could be the strut mounts. Unfortunately, squeaks, rattles and groans are hard to pinpoint even when you're in the car!

My chilton manual pin-points these bolts. I need to raise the car though. Will try this week-end and let you know.

There are 148K miles on the car. The noise generally comes from under the car and it appears though it's coming from behind the dash, and from under the automatic shift column. Transmission, engine smooth as new though.

Vijay Bajwa wrote:

Can you "bounce" the car's suspension while parked by vigorously pushing down on the front end and hear the noise? It's difficult to diagnose noises on a NG.

No, but I found a good resource for my problem. Sounds like what I am experiencing. The chirping noise (on a rough road, like crickets mating) I think comes from loose parts inside the console where the shift shaft sits. See below: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/archive/index.php/t-7908.html
Although the problem they report is for hybrids, I believe my problem can be fixed the same way.
Thanks, Vijay
Vijay Bajwa wrote:

That might be it. Otherwise, you might have chipmonks or something living the car.