Corolla Daytime Running Lights Module blown?

Hello

I took my 2003 Corolla S in for regular servicing recently. After having gotten the keys back, my wife went to the car in the lot and noticed the car wouldnt start. Upon closer inspection, she noticed that someone had left the lights on. She went back to the service dept and a Toyota technician boosted the car which led the car to start up. Evidently, someone in the service dept had left the lights on for several hours.

When I got home later that night I noticed that the headlights would not turn on. Neither the daytime running lights, nor the highbeams. The fog lights do turn on.

I went back to Toyota the next morning and told them about the problem. They checked and found that the Daytime Running Lights Module had stopped working. Could this have been caused by the fact that the car lights were left on for several hours? Toyota insists it was a coincidence and that this is normal "wear and tear". Is this true? They are charging me $300+ to have it replaced!

Any info would be appreciated.

Reply to
hank755_ca

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I wouldn't budge an inch. The failure of the module may or may NOT have been coincidental with the fact of their leaving the lights on for several hours, draining the battery. But the least you can expect is that your automobile must be returned to you from their shop in the condition it was when you brought it in. It was in their care. I would ask to borrow their phone and let them get the phone number of the zone manager of Toyota, and let the service manager know that he is welcome to sit in while you make the call and tell the zone manager your story. I would flat out not leave the dealership until they had agreed to replace the module completely gratis, parts and labor, and no negotiations possible. Otherwise (tell them) you'll take them to small claims court for the amount of the damages. Period. (an electronic part like this should NOT fail in a period of three years.....'normal wear and tear' be damned.)

Reply to
mack

I would advise a slightly different approach that would have worked on me if I were the district service manager for the dealership in question.

Toyota has "regions," not zones, and each region is broken up into districts. The district service manager (DSM) has final authority on goodwill assistance for out-of-warranty repairs and they cannot be overridden by regional service managers, regional general managers, or the CEO of Toyota. This is because the DSM's are responsible for what goes on in their districts and so that higher level executives do not have to spend time dealing with customers that the DSM or the dealership personnel should have dealt with.

If a regular service customer has an out-of-warranty repair the dealer service department can ask the DSM for goodwill assistance, or if they do not, the customer can call Toyota's customer relations line at (if memory serves me correctly it is 1-800-331-4331) and ask the customer relations analyst for assistance.

The customer can ask politely ask the service manager to schedule a meeting with the DSM during the DSM's next visit to the dealership, and when meeting with the DSM, politely explain why they feel they deserve assistance with an out-of-warranty repair. DSM's who are yelled at or threatened with lawsuits will rarely provide customers with goodwill assistance, at least I never did.

I doubt if anything the dealership did caused the DRL module to fail, even leaving the lights on and letting the battery run down should not damage the DRL module. On the other hand, the DRL module should not 'wear out' and one could reasonably expect it to last for a long time, even the life of the vehicle. IIRC, Corollas have had issues with the headlight combination switch and headlights coming on.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray you might reference TSB EL001-03 dated 01-15-2003. This TSB seems to address this exact failure.

Reply to
Mr.E

Thanks for the info. Could someone please give me the full text for the Toyota Service bulletin TSB EL001-03 dated 01-15-2003?

Thanks

snipped-for-privacy@totally.> >

Reply to
hank755_ca

Yup, I am ware of the TSB, which is why I mentioned my recollection of the issues ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I think the tsb you are thinking of is EL003-03. The title of the one I am referring to is:

EL001-03 DRL RELAY CHECK AFTER LOW/DEAD BATTERY (REVISED)

1/15/2003 - 2003 Toyota Corolla & Matrix. If the battery in 2003 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles is allowed to discharge to a point where the vehicle will no longer start, a check of headlight operation should be performed. In some cases, a depleted battery may result in damage to the DRL Relay. An updated Daytime Running Light Relay has been created to address this situation.

Last bulletin on bottom of page.

Reply to
Mr.E

NOW I remember reading that TSB, although I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, and all the more reason for the OP to politely ask for assistance.

Reply to
Ray O

Mr E. and Ray are totally correct (it's easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar). My heavy-handed approach would likely get the service manager's back up, and I'd get nowhere. This service bulletin is mighty interesting! and just goes to show that the ball should be in the dealer's court to do the right thing.

Reply to
mack

Update:

I showed the service manager the service bulletin and he told me it was from the US. But he checked to see if a similar TSB was sent out here in Canada and lo and behold there was!

He quickly told me they would replace the DRL module free of charge and apologized for the inconvenience.

Thanks to everyone who made me aware of the service bulletin.

Regards H

mack wrote:

Reply to
hank755_ca

Thanks for the update!

Reply to
Ray O

Score one for the Good Guys -- including the service manager?

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson