corolla special parts

Hi, the scrapyard has a lovely 94 corolla special. I'm already enjoying its speakers. Just wondering about compatibility with a base model 95 corolla, i.e. is this just a trim level designation?

Would it have a sway bar I could take? Are the brake calipers better (they are available). I'm taking the grille and a headlamp assembly, they look identical to the 95.

Is it worth taking the AC compressor? My car has no AC. I can get the console, switches and wiring as well as all of the AC unit, but is there any point? Can it be fitted to a nonAC car for say < 1000?

Stef (95 corolla, power nothing)

Reply to
Stef Caunter

I am not familiar with the Corolla "Special" as it was not sold in the U.S. In 1994 and 1995, the U.S. had the Corolla Std, DX, and LE.

The engine for the Standard Corolla is a 1.6 liter engine while the DX and LE have 1.8 liter engines, and the transmissions are different. To answer your question, besides the trim level designations, there are drivetrain differences.

I would not bother with a sway bar because if your car does not have one now, adding one is not that simple.

The brake calipers will not perform noticeably better unless there is a problem with the calipers on your car now. Check with a Toyota dealer or auto parts store to see if the Std and other trim levels take the same part number.

There is a lot more to an AC than just the compressor. There is the condenser, receiver/drier (do not use a used receiver/drier - always use new), evaporator, relays, ductwork, and wiring. If the engine in the donor car is not the same as in the recipient car, then the AC units are probably not compatible anyway.

Reply to
Ray O