Cost to replace rear main seal, '97 Tercel?

I at first thought this was a transmission leak so I put some fluorescent leak spotting dye into the transmission fluid but none of the leak puddles glow under a black light. If I pull the dipstick out of the transmission, and shine the light on it while it's still wet with ATF it lights up nicely proving there is plenty of dye in there. New ATF of the same brand and grade from a bottle does not light up. I have to conclude that the leak is engine oil. It's so grimy under there that I couldn't tell what was leaking.

Yesterday I re-sealed the engine oil pan in hopes of a relatively easy fix but the leak that drips between the engine and transmission appears unaffected. I now think that my leak is due to the rear main seal unless there is another leak source near the engine/transmission juncture that I should look at. Every thing above the pan gasket is dry.

How much should I expect to pay for a rear main engine seal repair on 1997 Tercel Black Hawk with an automatic tranny?.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand