Cruise control

2691$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

When I went from Ontario to the west coast I went through the US and in Montana at that time they had what was called a "prima facie " speed limit, which meant if conditions were good / you could open the car up, but when conditions deteriorated then you were obliged to drive according to the conditions at the time .

At that time (about 25 years ago)Montana was sparsely populated and if you saw another car on the Interstate every five miles that was a traffic jam.

To make a long story short ? I drove an `86 accord sedan 2 liter auto and I set the speed control to 110 miles per hour.

It is a very boring trip going across Monatana from East to west and vice versa and I almost fell asleep at times.

At that time the furthest between cities was about 400 miles so rest stops were practically non-existant.

I never touched the speed cvontrol until I came near a city where the speed limit was posted at 60-70MPH.

Both going and coming the weather was warm sunny and dry.

That car had 350,000 on it when some 72 year old retard rear ended it and totaled it.And it still ran like new ,using a liter of oil in

1000+ miles at that speed.

I understand now that Montana has a 70mph speed limit on the Interstates.

Ed M

Reply to
mred

I don't know whether to pity you or to envy you.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Thanks to the LIEbrawls/DEMONrats.

Reply to
Sharx35

Follow the yellow brick road. You, too, could escape from Kansas.

Reply to
Sharx35

I'd have to double check mine to make sure it doesn't resume from a stop, but I'm fairly sure it won't. But mine, being a 2005, should be exactly the same as the

2006 version, being as they are basically identical cars. And mine is factory, no doubt about it. Mine is a "CE" so I don't know if an option package might have been involved, or if it was standard. I'd have to look it up. I also have power door locks and auto cabin lights. That might be an option too, but not sure. I'll double check mine later just to make sure what the lowest resume speed is, and if it will resume from a stop. I'd always thought it would not though. I've always reset it after stopping.

My 05 is a NUMMI car.. Most parts on it I've seen so far are Denso.. I've heard some could use GM built parts, but I think most on mine are JA parts. I don't think the GM parts are named Denso.. But I'd have to double check that too. I forgot..

Reply to
nm5k

AS an fyi, any modern cruise control will instantly disengage if wheel slippage is encountered, so no danger of it "speeding up"on slippery roads.

Wes

Reply to
Willy

I tested mine last night. The lowest speed it will work is 25 mph. And if you have it set, and stop, it will not resume. Has to be reset. I'm not sure what the cut off speed is, cuz I didn't really test that, but it's probably anything below 25 mph I imagine.

Reply to
nm5k

I tested mine last night. The lowest speed it will work is 25 mph. And if you have it set, and stop, it will not resume. Has to be reset. I'm not sure what the cut off speed is, cuz I didn't really test that, but it's probably anything below 25 mph I imagine.

************ That is how I thought the cruise control worked.
Reply to
Ray O

The first cruise control offered on GM vehicles, like the '52 Buick Riviera, would return to the preset speed from a standstill if one pressed 'resume.' Current systems require one to be back up to the pre-determined speed at which cruse can be engaged, generally around 30 MPH, before 'resume' will reset. All of them disengage if the actual speed varies from the set speed by around 10%

Not all current CC systems will down shift on a down grade to try to maintain the set speed. I have three vehicles from the same manufacturer that do not, including a 2009 that doesn't, try to maintain the set speed by downshifting. On the one that does I simply tap the brake to disengage, then press resume at the bottom of the grade.

Personally I always drive using CC as soon as I get to 30 MPH. I can drive using my thumb to pick up or slow with traffic flow since most of the time traffic generally moving around the same speed.

There is no question I average two to three miles more, on average, using CC and tapping the brake on the many steep grades I normal traverse when I am up in Pennsylvania.

I tested mine last night. The lowest speed it will work is 25 mph. And if you have it set, and stop, it will not resume. Has to be reset. I'm not sure what the cut off speed is, cuz I didn't really test that, but it's probably anything below 25 mph I imagine.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm sorry, I must have miss-read some posts. Please let me clarify my statements.

The cruise control in my 2006 Corolla does not resume FROM a stop. But it does resume AFTER a stop.

If I have the cruise set to say 40 mph and then stop, it does not loose it's memory of the speed it was set for unless I kill the power to the unit. But I have to get back up to it's minimum speed before it will resume. After I accelerate to around 25 mph, I can hit resume and it will return to 40 mph. I have never heard of a cruise control that would engage while you were stopped.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

Either Toyota must have changed their logic where the previous speed is retained in memory even after dropping below 25 MPH or coming to a stop, or the cruise control in your car is not factory. By any chance, did you purchase your car in the southeast or Gulf states?

Reply to
Ray O

The car was purchased new in the fall of 2006 from a dealer in Maumee, OH (Toledo, OH suburb). I don't have the window price sticker anymore but it was listed as a no-cost option and is controlled by a stalk on the right side of the steering wheel hub. I do believe that it is a factory installed cruise.

The wife and I went out to the best restaurant in the area for supper last night (the truck stop up by the toll road). I verified that the cruise control DID operate like I have stated. The manual states:

"The cruise control may be temporarily cancelled by doing the following:"

  1. "Pulling the lever in the "CANCEL" direction and releasing it."
  2. "Depressing the brake pedal"
  3. "Depressing the clutch pedal (manual transmission)"

"Under certain circumstances, the cruise control is temporarily cancelled:"

  1. "When vehicle speed falls below 40 km/h (25 mph)"
  2. "When vehicle stability control is activated."

"When vehicle speed drops 16 km/h (10 mph) below the set speed, the cruise control is cancelled and the set speed is erased from memory."

It goes on to say that you can 'resume' from a temporary cancellation.

So the manual is kind of ambiguous. If I'm going up a steep hill and the engine can't keep the speed to within 10 mph of the set speed, the system drops the set speed from memory. But if I hit the brake, it doesn't drop the speed from memory. The question is, if the system is temporarily cancelled by the brake and you then come to a stop, does it forget the set speed? Mine doesn't.

The controls are just like those listed in the owner's manual and operate the way the manual describes. The "CRUISE" light on the dash display lights when the cruise is turned on. There doesn't seem to be any cruise control servo under the hood so I assume that it uses the same throttle plate motor the 'go' pedal uses.

I hope this helps but I'm afraid that it only adds to the confusion.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

It sounds like you have a factory cruise control, and dealers in OH are services by Toyota's Cincinnati regional office. I guess Toyota changed the function a little.

Reply to
Ray O

Ok.. That is the "cutoff" speed that I never tested for..

As far as I can tell with mine, I bet it's the 10 mph speed that determines if it can resume or not. I bet if I had it set for 30 mph, and dropped to 25, but no less, it would resume the 30 mph set. But I bet if I drop below 10 mph, it will not reset. But I'd have to test that also. BTW, I'm also talking about a resume once back up to the set speed, not trying to resume from a start. So according to the manual, which seems to make sense, it should resume as long as you don't drop below the cutoff speed of 10 mph. If yours is able to resume after coming to a stop, or dropping below 10 mph, it does not sound like "normal" operation. So I can see how this sounds kind of weird to Ray O. I don't think mine acts like that, and your system sounds exactly the same as mine as far as I can tell. I'll test the cutoff speed on mine next time I get a chance. But I still think when mine drops below 10 mph, I have to reset it. According to what that manual says, it would not be normal to resume from a dead stop. IE: "the cruise control is cancelled and the set speed is erased from memory." If that is the case, it should not be able to resume from a stop, or a dip below 10 mph.

Reply to
nm5k

snip

I think, with mine, the 10 mph cutoff point is only effective if the cruise control is engaged when the speed drops. If the cruise is disengaged by hitting the brake and then the speed drops below 10 mph, the memory is retained.

I suspect that my car was manufactured here in the USofA and they used a cruise control supplied by domestic supplier as OEM instead of shipping one from Japan.

Anyway, I can't make yours work like mine and you can't make mine work like yours. I guess we will have to live with what we got.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP