Daytime Runnig LIghts.

typ'd:

THAT last remark is just so much bullshit. Judging by the epidemic of dysfunctional little bastards running around, parenthood should be LICENSED. It is far more important than driving, which DOES require a license and, yes, dysfunctional children CAN and DO kill.

typ'd:

snip
Coming from you, that only affirms the correctness of my statement.
--

- Philip

typ'd:

My friend Ahnold will get you for that!!

typ'd:

Last time I met Schwartzenegger was in 2001 at The Rock Store on Mulholland early on a Saturday morning. He and his little entourage and one HUGE body guard were riding cruiser Harleys.
-Philip

What were the other times? How many times have you met Arnold??

typ'd:

Three times total between 1999 and 2001. He's actually smaller statured than cameras make him out to be. Just another square jawed European with too much dental reconstruction. But he does have a voice and accent that carry.
-Philip

Did you guys ever arm wrestle? If so who won?

typ'd:

Ahnold has little time for girlie men, so you LIEbrawls take note.

What about the arm wrestling question?

I got into the habit of looking at peoples faces. You can tell a lot by what they are doing an looking at. Motorcycle operators have to drive defense to stay alive.

BAD idea. Looking a driver in the eye is often interpreted as giving them the right-of-way. And what you see is subject to misinterpretation.
Instead,look at what the tires are doing; they will ALWAYS show what is happening. (Before "spinners" became popular I'd say "look at the wheels" but now you need to focus on the tire itself . . . .)

AGREED -- 100% -- ALL the time EVERY ride.
-Don
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

They couldn't see me because I always used a face shield or sun glasses. I gave up motorcycles years ago. I rode a lot back then. My longest trip was to Jasper in Alberta from MSP Mn. in 1977, it was a fun trip and I rode back though BC, Mt and the Bear tooth pass, then over the old route Big Horn Mts, (switch backs) . Two weeks of bliss. Camped out every night. Had a good time in Montana at a out of the way place just outside of Red Lodge, WoooHOO. Best breakfast I ever had was in another little cow town somewhere in Montana.
You can read a lot by peoples faces. I was always able to tell if they seen me or not. I was ready and I knew what my bike would do if I had to slam on the brakes. Me and my bike were one. I sold it back in the mid eighties. I wouldn't want to try it again, the reflexes aren't like they were. BTW, I rode quite a bit late at night on long trips, that's another story, but nothing like it. To have the warm summer night, stars above and the wind whistling by......

typ'd:

GOOD idea and well practiced by seasoned riders. He didn't say he was making eye contact ... which is what you inferred.

snip
Oh so .... with the car tires going straight down the road, our biker should ignore the driver who is looking everywhere but straight ahead? Not on this planet.
-Philip

Precisely.
Watching the tires for what is HAPPENING . . . .
-vs-
Watching the driver with the way his eyes are fluttering and his head bobbing and hoping to interpret what MIGHT happen . . . .
The choice is an easy one for someone with half a brain.

What planet IS that???
-D
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."
typ'd:

Don't know what planet you're on? LOL
I've learned to watch the cars and secondarily the driver's movements.

Remember the car don't move with out the driver. Keep your eye on the driver, if you can see him/her. The darkened glass of todays cars you can't see anything. I don't ride M/C anymore. Too dangerous in the city. Too dangerous for car drivers what with all those yaking on cell phones and completely oblivious of what's going on around them let alone a M/C driver coming. Good luck.

snip

Yep...I really agree about those cellphones...I never use mine while I'm driving, takes only a few minutes to stop...I won't let my wife use hers while she's driving either. My son's a smart guy (I thought) till I told him that I wished that he'd stop to use one and he said, "Ok dad, I'll get a 'hands free' setup then".
There followed a long discourse about 'Attention' and 'Concentration' and which is more important, number of 'hands on the wheel' or number of brain cells directing those (or that) hand.
I -Tthink- I won but you never know... :) (I sure know that I was RIGHT!... :)
--
-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Well Gordie, if your son has more of your wife's genes and less of yours, I'm confident he can do drive and yak. ;^)
-Philip

Actually, cars DO move without the driver being in control or sufficiently aware. Case in point are the very drivers on cellphones that you mentioned.
-Philip

Well, it isn't the planet of my birth. Other than that I can't say for sure . . . ;^)

I'm glad to see that you've decided that drivers' movements are secondary. I agree.
But you got me to thinking (which is a GOOD thing) and I wondered if I'm missing an important ingredient in trying to keep my hide 'n' head intact while I ride motorcycles in all kinds of traffic. So did a little experiment.
I tried watching drivers while riding my motorcycle to and from work today. It was very interesting and informative. Here's what I found out:
At highway speeds (above 40 or so) looking at the drivers was difficult at best. By the time I saw the driver clearly (and I couldn't make out a driver clearly in many of the cases) it would have been too late to take any action if the driver decided to do something st00pid.
At slower speeds or stopped in town it was easier to make out the drivers and see what they were doing. although it was still difficult to see drivers clearly because of glare, angle of vision, or tint on windows.
When I could see them clearly, I saw lots of things going on. Most of the drivers on the way in at around 7:15 to 7:45 were driving as if asleep; either staring mostly straight ahead or else looking like they might nod off. The others were in animated conversations with cell phones or passengers; dealing with bratty kids in the back; singing along with whatever was on the radio or CD; reading in one case (!); and some looked alert and attentive (a decided minority). On the way back after work, things were a little better, but still not optimal; there are a LOT of tired zoned-out drivers out there!
In no case could I see a clear clue of what a vehicle was going to do based on looking at the driver. Maybe I'm clueless and there are clues to be had, but if there were, they were too subtle for me.
Of course, this is based on one day's observation of a very small subset of drivers (NOT scientific!) but the conclusion for me was clear: I will keep watching what the vehicles are doing and not spend valuable time trying to see the people inside. My time is much better spent observing traffic flow patterns and trying to decide, based on those patterns and previous experience, where the threats are likely to come from and what I should do to evade or avoid those threats.
As for looking at the tires, that really only applies to traffic close in: at low speeds and stopped at traffic stops. Otherwise I look 10-15 seconds ahead and scan for what vehicles seem to be the most likely threats when I get to where they are and scan my mirrors looking for which vehicles are most threatening coming from behind . . . .
What any of this has to do with Daytime Running LIghts , I haven't a clue.
-Don (keeping the rubber side down in Rochester MN)