99 Bonneville - Daytime Running Lights

I disconnected the DRL resistor under the hood but this does not disable the DRL's as expected from this link:

It looks like the headlights are now full brightness but the headlights are still on (I want them to be off and operated only by the light switch).

What is the next step - jumper the DRL relay ?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
X-Eliminator

Jim Northey

There is no separate fuse for the DRL on a 99 - it's integrated into the headlight fuse.

Reply to
X-Eliminator

If you still need this info .. I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP, and the way to disable it that works, is to unplug the voltage reducing diode, which is a large finned object located on outer wall of drivrs side of dash. Can be seen through an access pnel when door is open. If you unplug the diode, running lights will not work, but everything else works as normal. I would imagine a 99 Bonneville would be close to this.

Reply to
DMHenrie

I completely removed the DRL resistor like it says on the website below, but no joy. I pulled the ambient light sensor, still no joy. I can't find the relay box to look for the DRL relay so that I can hotwire it. My last option is to find the Park/Neutral Position Switch so that I can trick the Light Control Module into seeing the transmission in park which will allow me to turn off the headlights using the headlight switch at will.

The Pontiac unlike other cars does not have a separate DRL module. Instead everything is contaolled by the (master) Light Contol Module which means that you need to manipulate the inputs to the module to control the DRL. When the Light Control Module gets a "Park" input telling it that the transmission is in park, the DRL's go off. My goal is to trick the Module into thinking that the car is in park all the time. I'm doing all this because I installed HID headlights and they are flaky when the DRL is active. It's turning into a real pain in the ass:

X-Eliminator

What about trying the Buick solution as listed on that web site? Maybe you have a 99 1/2 that uses 2000 controls.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Why would you WANT to disable DRLs????????

Just let the dang things light up. They don't cost you ANY gas. They are required by law in quite a few countries - and the beauty of the Pontiac system is it is impossible to walk away from your car leaving the lights on if you just leave it on automatic.

Reply to
clare

Yep that's the ticket - the solution for the 1999 Buick LeSabre. On my car the A7 input to the Lamp Control Module is light green and there's no A8 input shown in the 1999 Factory Service Manual schematic (Bonneville, Eighty Eight, LSS, Regency, and Le Sabre). I can just wire a fused ignition input voltage from the remote start to that input which will solve my problem.

There another way to do that since the input to A7 comes from the Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Switch (mounted at the transmission linkage). It would be an easy thing to cut the wire right there and apply the 12 volt ignition wire and not have to take anything apart under the dash board.

Reply to
X-Eliminator

The reason why to disconnect the DRL is bacuse they don't play nice with HID headlights which REQUIRE full voltage (12 volts+) to work correctly. DRL only supplies around 8-10 volts which causes the HID headlight to frequently not work or flicker.

Reply to
X-Eliminator

hi people my name is Tee i am a mechanic for 28 years i have a 99 bonneville i also went nuts tracing wires,relays,modules and so on untill i finally figured how to make my headlights work with the main switch only solution is disconnect the plug on the automatic light module there is two plugs disconnect one of two with the green wire located behind radio and console close to the floore its a box that controlls all the fancy lighting stuff once u disconnect it it works like a basic system there is one downfall fog lights will not work all other lights will operate fine if you like the fog light option you can do what i did and make a new wire harness useing a power sorce from headlights its not easy but it is the only way to make fog lights work once module is disconnected so there is my solution to DRL lighting

Reply to
Tee 28 year veteran mechanic