Did I see what I thought I saw????

Did Toyota REALLY place higher than Ferrari in yesterday's Spanish Grand Prix????

Reply to
hachiroku

How much of that car is actually Toyota?

Reply to
Dan J.S.

It's to Toyota as Camry/Corolla is to Japanese.

Reply to
FanJet

Of course. It happens often. Not always, but often. What's the big deal?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The engine is designed and built by TRD, the body styling was done by Toyota, and a lot of key parts, esp suspension are provided by TRD, IIRC.

Reply to
hachiroku

Holy shit, people are talking F1!!! That machine is ALL Toyota. Toyota entered three seasons ago. Everything is designed in-house at their facility in Cologne, Germany. Oh, and did you know that Toyota F1 has the highest operating budget (yes, MORE than Ferrari) in the grid, clocking in right around $325 million. They've spent their last several seasons poking around the paddock, daingling money infront of every succesful manager from other teams. In the off season they sprited away a fellow from Renault named Mike Gascoyne as a technical director. So don't confuse Toyota with perennial back-marker teams like Jordan or Minardi that use a melange of out-sourced components to peice together a race car. Toyota is on their way to the top, mark it, I just said it. And you'll bet I won't be the only one at Indy this June waving an enormous Toyota-F1 flag like a dick.

Reply to
Qslim

I do suppose they get some credit, too.

Reply to
Qslim

Don't know, but a lot of F1 cars for all the major teams are actually built, tested and maintained in a small garage in the UK of all places.

They build all the chassis and suspension, and fit the team engines (whether team built, sponsored or licensed).

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Yeah. Even Penske was building his 16's and 17's in England back in the late 80's, early 90's.

Reply to
hachiroku

Seen it on TV, the place is amazing. Small test/shakedown circuit (like a short sprint track), what looks like a row of lockup garages (storage units) and loads of fields, and you can just see the small village that is nearby.

The doors are opened and inside are millions of pounds of F1 cars, parts and test equipment. They do have an impressive security setup though, full fencing with 24 hour patrols, and it is at the end of a private road, so chances are you wouldn't see it from the nearby main public road.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Just to show you how into it I USED to be, at one time I could tell you the name of the town!! I just can't remember right now (Um ,Silverstone comes tom mind ???)

And Millions of Pounds???? They weigh TAHT much??? ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

Sterling, not weight. It's in the UK and so am I ;)

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Still weight isn't it?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I know. AS I say, it's a tough job but someone has to do it... :p

Reply to
hachiroku