Drivers of Hybrid Vehicles

If you operate one of Toyota's hybrid vehicles, would you share your thoughts about the following questions:

[1] The expected lifespan of the battery pack in your (make, model and year) hybrid vehicle ? [2] The replacement cost of the battery pack in your (make, model and year) hybrid vehicle ? [3] Provide an estimate of the amount of kiloWatt-hour electrical power needed to recharge a completely discharged battery pack in your (make, model and year) hybrid vehicle ?

I would like to know if there is a substantial cost savings when comparing a hybrid engine vehicle to a conventional gasloline engine vehicle. It seems that conservation of the environment is one reason to purchase a hybrid engine vehicle, rather than based on less consumption of gasoline fuel.

Thanks and regards,

Vince Long Island, NY

Reply to
Vince

The life of the car. There have been very few cars that have had their battery packs replaced.

Unknown, because so few have had their battery packs replaced outside of warranty.

This is irrelevant. The hybrid battery is recharged by either using energy otherwise wasted (e.g., by braking the car) or directly from the engine. Either, way, it does not use electricity from the grid.

You need to compare the mileage of a gasoline vehicle with a hybrid vehicle. A Civic or Prius get around 45 mpg. You can find the exact estimates on Honda's web site and Toyota's web site. I drive around

12,000 mi a year, and would save an estimated 100 gallons of fuel a year. So I would save around $400 or $500 a year. For the increased cost, it is just about break even over the life of the car, not including the higher resale value.

Unfortunately, as far as the environment is concerned, I haven't seen anyone account for the additional environmental costs of making the batteries, motor, etc. So I don't know what the total environmental savings/costs are.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Huh?

That's not how a Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system works. Your question is more than meaningless.

I suggest you poke around and understand the system a BUNCH more.

There aren't any stories of battery replacement, so the batteries are lasting quite well so far. The system management computer is designed specifically to keep the batteries healthy, and that means never letting them get too low or too high.

45mpg. Figure that for your average mileage on a Prius.

Oh--while you're doing the engineer-thing with the math, also consider that the brakes on a Toyota hybrid--especially the Prius--will last a VERY long time, because the primary braking power comes from engaging the generators. Power from the generators will either go to the batteries or, if the batteries are full, will go out in heat. The physical brakes, under normal conditions, are not used until 7mph and lower, or during panic stops.

However, I'm pretty sure that the engineer in you is seeking answers to questions that are meaningless within the Toyota system, and that you will never by satisfied with the real world answers.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The engineer in him?

Bill Putney

If you are truly serious about getting information concerning Toyota hybrids, I suggest going to PriusChat.com. That forum/server has all types of information and discussions concerning these items you've asked about, and some you most likely haven't even thought of.

I drive an '07 Toyota Camry Hybrid.

The warranty on the Traction Battery is 100 Kmiles/8 years (I believe

150K/10 years for CARB). This warranty window also covers most of the hybrid related units.

IF you need to replace the Traction Battery because YOU messed it up, a new Traction Battery will run around $3,000 - 5,000. For a lower price, there are many Prius batteries available from salvage. Some people are rebuilding Traction Batteries by replacing failed battery modules/cells.

There have been failures of Toyota Traction Batteries; however, most of these were covered under warranty. A few that died out of warranty were still partially covered by Toyota on a 50/50 split between Toyota and owner. However, naturally, if you screwed up and wrecked the traction battery due to your own actions, "tough", just like with a normal car.

As others have said, this is not applicable for the present stock availability of Toyota products. There are one or two companies that make add-on kits that allow the Prius to be a plug-in rechargeable. However, since they are no longer stock, this information would not be valid.

This is hard to answer. Reason: you cannot do a direct comparison between identical hybrid and conventional cars because of the different engines of the cars. Prius is only hybrid. 07 Camry Hybrid and Camry XLE were close in features and cost was a little more for TCH. '07 EPA values: TCH 40/38, XLE (4 cyl) 24/33, XLE (6 cyl) 22/31. My value: 42-44 at 60 mph; 38 in the city.

Reply to
John H.

Dear Elmo:

Let me be candid: I am ignorant about many things, including details about the Toyota hybrid vehicles. That is why I am asking questions about hybrid vehicles now, rather than later. And, rather than ask questions of a salesperson, I do seek answers from real world folks that drive Toyota hybrid vehicles.

My '91 Camry LE V6 has only 72k miles at present, but I am not certain how much longer I will be able to go without an airbag or two for sake of driving the grandkids around town. And, my wife's '93 Corolla has just under 78k miles; but she is out to buy something new, perhaps for the sake of buying!

I appreciate your reply up to a point. In spite of that last paragraph, I have learned something about the Toyota hybrid lineup.

Frankly, you are not now nor will you ever be in a position to know what will satisfy my quest for knowledge. Clearly, to gain knowledge, and because I am human, I must continue to ask questions, .

Thanks, anyway.

Regards, Vince

Reply to
Vince

Thanks John for your input.

Regards, Vince

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Reply to
Vince