Everyone's asking if my Scion is a Hybrid...

From Bruce Bergman in another thread:
And you are right Hachi, with a killer stereo, and a scanner, AND both fog and driving lights, now you are getting into oversized
alternator needed territory.
But a word of advice: Oversized alternators also need an oversized output lead from the alternator to the battery, or you will see smoke where you don't want it...
Abandon the factory Battery/Alternator lead in place in the harness - you may need to insulate the alternator end and leave it connected to the battery if there are other items tapped off it, check the wiring diagrams. And run a nice chunk of #4 Welding Cable or better (with some corrugated loom for extra ground-out resistance) between the battery post adapter and the alternator output stud.
So, today my car sits in a space at worked reserved for "Alternative Fuel Vehicles Only.
With a cord coming out from under the hood plugged into a socket on the light pole.
Hybrid in need of a charge?
Nah...wouldn't START this morning!!! Click click click click click...
I suppose the red cover over the + terminal should have been a tip off... The car did sit for three weeks.
I'll charge it today and see what happens over the weekend... I haven't been driving it because the weather has been nice (really nice late Summer days here in New England...) so I've been driving the Supra. A few more weeks and it goes into the garage until next Spring.
Hmmm....3 year/60,000 mile warranty...
Is the Scion tC a replacement for the Toyota Celica GT? They look very similar in body shape and I imagine they can't be much different below the hood.
Why did you choose the tC over a Celica?

Didn't Toyota stop building the Celica last year? It's not listed on Edmunds as a 2006 model.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:46:35 -0500, DH wrote:

In answer to both of you:
I guess the tC is a replacement for the Celica, at least in the US market. It is a similar car, but has the Camry's 2.4L 4 rather than the 1.8L found in the Celica.
The suspension certainly FEELS like a Celica. Before I settled on the tC I was looking at Celicas at our local dealer. They had a red GT-S, 2000 with 38,000 miles and almost all the options for $13,900. It had a serious shake (new tires...I suspected balancing) but it also had a grinding from the rear that seemd to go away for a while with a tug on the Parking brake.
When I first saw it, it was $12,900, but it had a deposit and the buyer reniged, so they passed the charge of putting the new tires on to the next buyer (the car listed on Kelly for $12,750 the first time I looked it up; after an increse in gas prices it listed for $13,450) It was certainly a nice car, and I liked the seating (you sit *IN* a Celica as opposed to *ON* a Scion) But couldn't justify the price. They also had a 2003 with 40K that had been bought at the dealer I was working for last year; I saw a girl in town driving it and asked her about it. It turns out at $17,500 she couldn't afford the payments. It had even more stuff than the '00 and had a price of $19,750! No Way! I love Celicas, but not THAT much.
At any rate, I beleive the tC shares a lot of suspension bits with the Celica, and is shaped like a cross between the Celica and the Solara.
As far as "not making them anymore", change the Zip Code in Edmund's to Japan, and you'll see that there are probably 2007s listed (Maybe not...I don't know if Edmund's works for Japan). But the Celica is not being Imported to the US anymore due to failing sales. I would have loved to have bought one for a similar bargain as my Scion, but knowing '05 was the last year for a car that has a demand it was easier to look for a Scion.
Besides, I have the ONLY tC in the county right now... ;)
Even the Cops are driving down the street to look at it! (they NEVER come down our street!!!)
Hachiroku wrote:

Celica and Supra are, im told, now out of production. Supra may return in a few years (complete redesign) but celica was considered not part of their target market any more and supra couldnt get decent performance without costs and being very un-green lol.