01 camry rubber smell

Hi all I recently got my first camry (70K, CE, 4 cyl) and started noticing something. When i turn on ignition, the rpm's go up for a second or two (as if pressing the gas pedal) and at the same time, there is a rubber odor coming out of the exhaust. it does go away shortly

can any1 tell me if its normal.

thanks

Reply to
deebony

How high does engine RPM go when you start the engine?

Can you smell the "rubber odor" from inside the passenger compartment when you start the car?

Reply to
Ray O

i think the RPMs go up to around 3000 and drop off right away to a little above 1000 and the odor is only coming out from the exhaust. And it looks like this happens only when the engine is cold.

Reply to
deebony

3,000 RPM is a little high at startup. You should start the car with your foot off of the throttle, because if you give it gas when you crank, it will rev up like that.

If you can only smell the burning rubber odor by standing near the exhaust pipe and it goes away right away, I wouldn't worry too much. If there are clouds of blue-gray smoke as well, then have it checked out and monitor your oil consumption.

Reply to
Ray O

the thing is i never have my foot on the throttle when turning ignition on. it just revs up on its own. i do check oil regularly

Reply to
deebony

As long as the engine RPM drops back down to normal, I wouldn't worry to much about the RPM thing. I also would not worry about the odor, as long as it goes away right away.

Reply to
Ray O