excessive smoke from tailpipe-couldn't perform emissions test?

I have a 94 toyota tercel, 210k miles and lately there has been excessive smoke issuing from the tailpipe at start up and then it usually stops after the car has warmed up, thinking that was due to burning oil because this car slurps up oil like its job. Then it starts to hesitate when I shift into higher gears, 4th especially, it feels as if it's slipping out of gear or there is a clog in the fuel system or injector...either way I was denied the emissions test because of this excessive smoke but my problem is, is that the car doesn't normally issue smoke after it idles and I waited 15 minutes in the testing line. So I was wondering if anyone had any information as to the problem/remedy. I've also been told that adding rubbing alcohol to the gas tank will flush the system but that scares me do you think it would be advantageous for me to try because I need to get my new registration soon! thanks

Reply to
rct27

The smoke at startup after the car has been sitting for a while is a symptom of leaking valve stem oil seals, and it is not uncommon for that vintage Tercel to have that problem. The problem with running the engine with this condition is that it can eventually contaminate the catalytic converter.

If you run the car at highway speeds for a long time, you may (or may not) be lucky enough to get the catalytic converter hot enough to burn off the contaminants and pass the emissions test, but to be honest, that is a long shot.

The proper fix is to replace the valve stem oil seals, and depending on how long the condition has existed, also replace the catalytic converter.

The hesitation you are getting in 4th gear is probably unrelated to the oil problem. First, check the condition of the transmission fluid. If it is an automatic transmission, the fluid should be red and translucent. If it is another color, the fluid should be drained and refilled. The hesitation could also be due to an engine miss or a clogged injector if your engine is fuel injected. Check the condition of the spark plugs to make sure the electrodes are not coated with oil, check the spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. If it is fuel injected, try some fuel injector cleaner and see if the hesitation clears up.

Reply to
Ray O

White oil smoke at startup usually starts with worn valve stem seals (a common Toyota problem). This becomes progressively worse over time. At this mileage, the valve stems could also be worn.

Hesitation is usually a fuel problem, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump filter, fuel injector system. Dump a can of fuel injector cleaner into the tank when it is lower on fuel and burn it out. Toyota recommends something with Techron. I would stay away from rubbing alcohol.

Reply to
toyomoho

The condition of your car will probably prevent you from getting it tested until You do a top end/ valve job. You should have a leakdown test done to make sure the rings are OK first. Or get one of the used jap engines installed

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

of leaking valve stem oil seals, and it is not

running the engine with this condition is that it can

lucky enough to get the catalytic converter hot

honest, that is a long shot.

long the condition has existed, also replace the

problem. First, check the condition of the

red and translucent. If it is another color, the

engine miss or a clogged injector if your engine is

electrodes are not coated with oil, check the spark plug

injector cleaner and see if the hesitation clears up.

Check the air filter too.

Reply to
Danny G.

My Small comments:

I have 3 camrys; 99 (my Wife's with 71k), 94 (mine with 178k), 93 (mothers with 56k). They ALL smoke on startup in the morning if facing slightly downhill. My driveway has a very slight downhill grade. None of the cars will smoke (blue oil smoke) AFTER the first morning startup even if facing slightly downhill. They all pass Mass emissions testing after they are warmed up for about 15 minutes. None of the cars will smoke when parked on level ground or facing slightly up hill, as when I park the cars facing up the driveway.

I don't understand this and worried about it when I had 1 Camry but I have 3 cars doing the same thing and I do pass Mass emissions testing on all 3. I just ignore it now.

Do you have the same symtoms?

Dan

Reply to
Dan