Exhaust pipe shields

The clamp and lower heat shield fell off the front pipe on my 98 RAV4 4 door, 4 wheel drive. How important is it to have these parts installed on the vehicle? I assume most shops leave these off when replacement pipes are installed.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote in news:DK1Ye.74260$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Aftermarket exhausts universally have no provision for those factory heat shields. If you replace your system with another OEM, it will come with new shields.

OEM mufflers may be more economical than you think. Most of them have the same "lifetime" warranty as aftermarket, and last many times longer.

The only real danger from issing shields is that from tall dry grass. You /may/ smolder or ignite the grass if it touches the right part of your exhaust.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Are you going off-rading with the thing?

On Hondas, the heat shield ALWAYS rattles. What do the Honda shops tell you?

Throw it away...

Reply to
Hachiroku