Fixing the horn on my '85 Tercel wagon

The horn has been working intermittently. The horn is the center of the steering wheel variety. I took off the cover and sanded the contact points and put it on and it worked great every time again. Then I looked for the little clip that holds it on with a screw, put it all together and it stopped working.

The only other thing I did since it worked was lightly sand a few other places that looked like possible contact points.

I checked the fuse and it's fine, but the horn hasn't peeped since...

voice from the past

Reply to
timagine

Did you lightly grease it with some dielectric grease? The would probably help.

Also, was the screw the right one? I had the same problem, and found the previous owner had replaced the screw with a longer one. I put the proper screw in,and the horn started working again.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The pin does wear down over time, especially if it doesn't get a dab of silicone grease occasionally and runs dry. You might have sanded the tip flat, but if it's still 1mm too short to hit the slip ring, nothing is going to happen...

Last time I bought one they were around $3, and the dealer had a few dozen on hand.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Does the 1985 Tercel have an inline fuse on the horn someplace?

voice from the past

Reply to
timagine

While I was fixing my horn I noticed that the steering wheel was adjustable, and adjusted it all the way up while checking it out---the working horn had stopped after that, and I hadn't thought of it. Sure enough, I started the car, readjusted the steering wheel to the middle where I like it, and the horn started working; put it back up and it stopped. The horn works in the lowest position too.

voice from the past

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
timagine

Check to see if the wire harness is pinched or stretched by moving the steering column in the highest position.

Reply to
Ray O