For the record: 2005 Toyota Matrix Outsold Pontiac Vibe

Matrix 2005 80,397

Vibe 2005 64,271

Reply to
Travis Jordan

When you compare warranties and potential resale values, that's no surprise.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Which could actually prove what someone else on this group is saying, its maybe about perception? If Vibe, being cheaper, loses to the Matrix, maybe the quality game is really over.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Why do you think the Vibe is less expensive?

***
Reply to
dh

A lot of the GM rebates apply to the vibe. Thats just for starters.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

What perception are you speaking of?

Perhaps you're oversimplifying the situation. Each brand has appealed to different people due to marketing, personal experience, and other factors. Pontiac buyers are different from Toyota buyers. You may have a percentage the belong to both categories but that's the minority. Given that, it would seem that the Pontiac buyers don't gravitate towards the Vibe despite its practicality and reliability. GM has more outlets (or dealerships) than Toyota so there should be more opportunities to sell the Vibe. The car is simply not bought by their clients.

I'll give you an example. A friend of mine was looking for a used Corolla for his daughter. Cost was a factor but it also had to have low miles, be under warranty still, and be in good condition. This was right after Katrina hit so fuel prices were very high. Corollas were hard to find cheap as they were flying out the door new and used. We found one at a Chevy dealer who had it for over 2 months. They couldn't sell it. It was an LE with ABS, sunroof, alarm, and has never been in an accident. It was in very good condition. The total purchase price (everything including taxes) was $4000 below the average retail value in NADA. That shows that Toyota buyers don't often go to Chevy dealers and Chevy's clients also don't go to Toyota dealers much.

Reply to
Viperkiller

What it really shows is that the dealer either hammered someone on a trade or was using it as a sales prop to "demonstrate" something (possibly "poor" resale value for Toyota). I've seen local dealers of many brands (including Toyota) do the same with used cars of the same brand they sell. The used car is parked next to a line of new models, with a ridiculous price, close to the new example's sticker price, on the used car. The salesperson then remarks about "great" resale value, as evidenced my a 2 year old version sitting right there. Since lots of shoppers don't do homework, the car is earning it's keep without being sold.

If the Chevy dealer really was in a rush to sell that car, and didn't think he'd make a decent profit on it, it would have been auctioned off to another dealer.

ALL car dealers in my area advertise in the newpapers, online, etc... If you want a certain used car that's advertised, you're going where the car is, regardless of the brand sign over the parking lot.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Question; is the vibe like the prizm was ? BAsically a toyota with minor changes and a different name batch ? what about the engine/electronics ? is it all toyota ?

Reply to
RT

The Vibe is a different car than the Prism. The Vibe and Matrix are basically the same car with differences in the body, options, and interior. The Vibe is basically a Toyota.

Reply to
Ray O

Interesting point. I suppose we can only speculate at this point. No matter what, it turned out to our benefit.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I like when that happens...

Sometimes, it just works out!

Reply to
Bonehenge

yes, I never claimed it was the same car. Was just wondering if it was the same principle prizm vs corolla and vibe vs matrix. (all mostly Toyota)

thanks. Are the engines and transmissions also toyota ?

Reply to
RT

The Pontiac Vibe is produced at the New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI) plant in Fremont, CA, the same plant that used to produce the Prism. The Matrix/Vibe concept was proposed by General Motors and engineered by Toyota.

Yes.

Reply to
Ray O