Matrix vs. Vibe

Hi, All:

Considering buying a brand new (or "almost new") Matrix/Vibe (auto tranny, not sure yet about the AWD/ABS option.) I've seen a number of discussions on this message board on this topic. Basically, the consensus seems to be that Pontiac Vibe is a better value-for-the-money deal than Toyota Matrix. My questions:

  1. How do the two compare as far as quality/reliability? Long-term cost of ownership (maintenance/repair costs)?
  2. Pontiac vs. Toyota dealership service departments: Statistically, can I expect a better quality of service at a Toyota dealership than at a Pontiac, or is there no difference?
  3. Independent repair shops: say I find a reliable shop that specializes in Toyotas. Would they be willing to work on a Pontiac Vibe?
  4. Anything else I may need to be aware of?

TIA,

-Bubba

Reply to
Bubba Bubbs

Yes the huge difference in the total drive home price between the two. The Matrix will cost you thousands more to drive home

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm no expert, so give credence to anyone contradicting me....

A while back Toyota and Chevy had a similar deal on what seemed to be nearly identical models. Chevy's was the Prizm; was Toyota's the Corolla? I was told that the differences lay under the skin, such as the better specs on the Toyota's bumper strength and stuff like that.

I offer that mushy comment by way of suggesting that the buyer might be hard-pressed to discern differences that the driver might discover later. As Pogo said, "You pays yo' money, you takes yo' chances."

Brent, whose file of pithy sayings crashed with his hard drive. :-(

Reply to
Brent Secombe

wrong. matrix is cheaper even with the GM discounts. also the matrix has a longer warranty. pontiac only has a 36,000 mile warranty-toyota 60,000 mile. check prices at carsdirect.com

Reply to
Len Zelinski

Is this a toy with the pontiac body?

nospam

Cannot answer any questions except #2.

You really have to check it out yourself. I do know several bad Toyota dealer service departments. I have no experience about Pontiac dealers since I have never own any cars other than Toyota.

Reply to
Guy

It was the Geo Prism and the Toyota Corolla. They were both, in fact, made on the same assembly line at Fremont California. I own one. The Prism only had a 1.6 engine, the Toyota came with either the 1.6 (4Y) or 1.8 (7Y) and could come with a 3 speed AT, a 3 speed + OD AT or a 5 speed manual. My Toyota has 203,000 miles on it, and has the 3 +OD tranny on the 7Y.

My guess is that the Matrix will have 'better' options than the equivalent Vibe. Find the specs online and compare them. . . .

I was told that the differences lay under the skin, such as

Charles of Kankakee ..._0) (Happy snorkeler)

Reply to
n5hsr

Have had house repair projects going on ... now complete. Then we vacationed up to San Francisco. And now that the grandkids are back in school, I've got time for myself again.

Reply to
Philip

I thought you lived in the Bay Area - East Bay?

Reply to
Ray O

There are mountainous roads in common with where we live ... and that's it.

-Philip

Reply to
Philip

I now they are made in different plants. Vibe in the Freemont plant and the Matrix is made in Canada. I sometimes listen to a radio show from Sacramento. The guy was talking about his trip to the Nummi plant in Freemont back when the Geo Prism and the Toyota Corolla were both made there. He said it was interesting to watch the inspection at the end before the Pontiac and Toyota to delivery of the vehicles ( I think the factory operates as a separate company) the Toyota rep sent a lot more cars back to be fixed before take delivery. It sounded interesting.

Reply to
Tom Wallace

And your POINT IS?

Reply to
Philip

AFAIK, Toyota has done away with using Delco parts due to their high failure rates, and has specified Denso parts as replacements. Usually, if you bring your Prizm in for service and a NUMMI installed part has crapped out it is replaced with a Denso part.

The original spec of a Delco part was to up the US made content in certain cars. Now that Denso has a manufacturing facility here in the US...

Reply to
Hachiroku