For Wickeddoll...Testosterone fumes...

I got an indicated 120mph out of my '02 Celica 1.8 VVTi this afternoon. No

> mods, half a tank of fuel and a boot full of the usual bits & bobs. Air con > off and windows shut. Shades on ;-) > The GPS said 113mph but I'd rather say the 120. > In the end it just ran out of grunt rather than track. > It's almost the same speed as I got out of my previous car, a V reg 2.0 > Cougar. The Cougar just took that bit longer to get to max speed and that > time I nearly did run out of track. > Anyone any comparisons? > > S-J
1985 Toyota Corolla GTS, 1.6L Twin Cam, bought in 1986, road trip from Hartford to Toronto, 1987. Wife and luggage on board (I travel VERY lightly)

Volvo and Prelude walk by me on the 401 like I'm in reverse! OK, they'll pay my ticket!

Needle tickled 130. and I KNOW the speedo was accurate at 100MPH for a fact! (and, uh, $275 later...) ;)

The only reason I let up was I could feel the front end lifting a bit; totally stock, no mods whatsoever. It also felt like it was running out of oomph, but it may have had 5 more MPH in it.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Well Hach this is a bit different but here goes.

We live in No Cal. To access I-5 I use an on that is probably 1500' (down hill) long and by the the time you get on the freeway and look down its maybe couple thousand feet. With wifes 02 Avalon I had to kick it a few times and seems about 80 as I let back.

The 05 the other day same scenario and I was pulling 100 about same spot. And a whole lot quicker.

I did notice (maybe I said before) that it says in manual that if you manually shift not to exceed 103 in 3rd gear.

The Avalon might not be quite as kick in the ass like my 64 El Camino with 3 deuces but damned hot car (course I'm 40years older!)

Reply to
ron

Damn! Is THAT all??!! ;)

Ah, '64 EC. Had a friend that had a '65 EC SS. Whoa! Nice Freakin' Car! All done up, Champange Gold with the black Rallye stripes and the Rallye wheels (I think from a later Chevelle...) and the Six-Pack. What a nice ride...

But, I had my Brand New 1974 Corolla 1200. I passed him MANY times....

At the Gas Station....

Reply to
HachiRoku

Now you're making me feel old. We borrowed a friend's 66 Chevelle SS 396 4 door sedan (Metallic Mint Green, no less) and I could pass it with the Carina.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

You're Satan, aren't you?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Nah, I saw Satan on Belmont Ave in Chicago. Gold Mercedes(plated, not painted) , license SIX VI 6.

Charles

Reply to
n5hsr

GAHHHHHH!!!!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

He wasn't in the car at the time.

Charles

Reply to
n5hsr

Is that supposed to make me feel better?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

My Celica Alltrac should be good for 140. I had 126 out of my old Saab turbo. That car got steadier as it got faster, and was nicer at 90-110 than it was at 60-90. Had M3's having trouble keeping up at times.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

85 Toyota pickup (rolling brick!) 22RE 3sp OD trans. Somewhere on the road between LA and Vegas. Had it up to 115 for much of the trip (no, not in the city!) 22 MPG too! But that was about all she'd do, even with a downhill grade :(

noneyabusiness

LOL! NO, NATALIE!!!

I'm a DEMON!

A SPEED DEMON!!!!

(Actually, let's say a 'spriited driver...I can really only cite three times where I could be called 'reckless'...usually, even though I like to drive a bit above Posted, I am ALWAYS cautious, and don't take chances where I see other fools would...like the idiot in a Saab who passed on a blind corner cause the guy in front of both of us was driving 30MPH...in a

35...good thing the guy coming the other way didn't leave 20 seconds earlier...)
Reply to
HachiRoku

GET OUT!

And somebody actually OWNED a Carina? (Actually, I liked them, but it was $250 more than the Corolla 1200...)

Reply to
HachiRoku

I'm still scared of you

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

We bought ours used at about 2 years old to replace our 13 year old Corvair that was rusting out and the valves were needing ground. . . . We paid about 1900 for it used. Neat little car. It had 37,000 when we got it, and when I sold it to get my 79 Corolla it had 154,000 on it, a mere 5 years later. The SS 396 had fouled spark plugs and apparently was only hitting on

4 of the 8.

Dad owned it, then I bought it for myself in 77 when he bought his 77 Corolla. It was a cool little car with the 2T-C engine, same engine Dad had in the 77. Dear old TA12, I really was hard on that car. Dad was harder. He had used Kendall 20-20W on the Corvair, so he used 20-20W on the Carina. By the time I owned it, I was running 10W-50 trying to keep oil in it. . . .

Charles

Reply to
n5hsr

You're as safe as if you were in your Mother's arms.

Long as you aren't wearing a bikini!

No, really, I am an extra-careful driver.

When I met my second, she had a friend that was in one of those graduation-night accidents. Fortunately, no one was killed or injured, but it scared the crap out of her. The first tie we went for a ride in my girl's Caprice-of-Crap, she was all hunkered down in the back seat, cringing, and asking my girl if I slowed at yellow lights and then went through anyway. I said "Slow down!? Hell, I FLOOR IT!" Man, they talk about some new bleach that makes things white? You ain't seem NOTHING!

By her third ride with me she was actually sitting up, talking to my girl and not even paying attention to my driving anymore...

Reply to
HachiRoku

PS, I still have all 6 registration cards and plates:

Illinois 1975 Missouri 1976 Illinois 1976 Illinois 1977 Illinois 1978 Illinois 1979

Yes, we moved a lot even then. . . .

Charles

Reply to
n5hsr

Gawd; you don't know my mom...

GAH!

You only hit folks at about 50 MPH, instead of 80 MPH?

EGAD

You still scare me

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

LOL! If you ever met me, and you didn't know I was Corolla Boy, you'd go away thinking, What a nice man!

Reply to
HachiRoku