For you Apple snobs with more money than brains

In what could prove to be the most embarrassing misstep in consumer electronics history, Apple Inc. announced today that it would recall its entire production run of the Apple iPhone after discovering that it had failed to include a "phone" feature in the much-hyped handheld device.

Speaking from Apple corporate headquarters, company founder Steve Jobs offered consumers his apology for the monumental goof and seemed to be searching for an explanation for how it could have occurred.

"First and foremost, we're sorry," a red-faced Mr. Jobs said in a conference call with Wall Street analysts. "When you make a product called the iPhone, people expect it to include a phone, and we messed that part up."

Mr. Jobs suggested that Apple had been so focused on making the iPhone the "coolest handheld device ever" that it had forgotten to include one of the most important features of any cellular phone: "One thing people like about cell phones is that you can dial numbers into them and call people."

Instead, he explained, Apple's engineers had crammed the iPhone with a plethora of what he called "non-phonal features," such as a camera, an MP3 player, a taser, and a tactical nuclear weapon.

While Mr. Jobs said that almost all of the nine million iPhones that had been shipped to stores were on their way back to Apple's manufacturing plant, he offered advice to consumers who somehow had already obtained the phoneless iPhone: "Just hold it up to your head and pretend to be talking into it."

Elsewhere, the Fish and Wildlife Service said that it would remove wolves from the endangered species list and add Republicans.

Reply to
sharx35

Apple users are a bunch of left wing shnooks, :)

Why would anyone want a cell fone that did all the crap that thing does, plus you have to subscribe to Cingular, (ATT), ugh.... :)

I'm with T-Mobile and not changing.

Reply to
dbu,.

Actually, I had two Macs for a while, I bought them for $50, primarily to get machines with language compilers to play with. They went into the kids' rooms for homework. I liked them quite a bit. They were well engineered and speedy. They were easy to use and effective. They weren't high-performance graphics system (they were M68K architecture systems). I really liked that iMac (?) when it came out. NO FAN! The thing was 100% convection cooled and dead quiet. A really nice feature in a home computer.

I probably won't be buying an iPhone but I've been very happy with Cingular. We get strong signals everywhere we go. I haven't priced or used T-Mobile but Cingular is way better than Verizon and Sprint (both of which I've been subjected to at various times). The comparable service at Sprint would be and extra 33% in cost.

Reply to
dh

*If* I had originally learned on a Mac, then I'd probably be using one (at home, since PCs are supplied at school). However, I ddidn't learn on one, so.... sticking with what I'm reasonably familiar with. Techy stuff provides a big enough learning curve in my case, w/out adding to it if I don't need to! The people I know who have Macs are super-loyal to them (you know, a little like Toyota owners... ).

My guess is that this - to some extent - probably relies on what area a person's in (& where they use their cell phones), what they use them for, how often, etc. I know of people who couldn't wait for a Cingular contract to expire so they could get out of "Cingular hell" (their words). And others who are happy with it. I have an oldish phone (no photo, no "flip", no nothing, just a basic phone) via Verizon with a prepaid acct. which automatically charges $15 to my cc each month. (That's the least expensive plan they offer.) And I *still* have a ton of time on balance - from accrued rollovers each month.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

OS 10 is based on a version of Unix, big endian. very stable platform. Lot's of software. I use a Mac almost exclusivly although I have XP box also, small endian, LOL. I like the Mac platform even though they are all a bunch of liberals, :)

Stay warm and let me know when spring arrives.

Cheers

Reply to
dbu,.

I'm on a 60 minute per month T-Mobile plan, $19 per month. I don't use the cell phone that much. I have a Motorola Razer which I like very much.

The computer platform is what you are most comfortable with.

Cheers and stay warm

Reply to
dbu,.

I have Cingular pay as you go.

No contracts.

Knowing every minute is charged, makes me talk less....unless it is to people with Cingular. Those calls are free.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

No contract w/ prepaid, either.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You have my sympathy. Are they still calling themselves T-Mobile? They started as Omnipoint. They are the single most mismanaged cell company in the world.

I bought a phone from them, loved the phone, the service was ok, but didn't work in Vermont. I expressly told them I needed a phone that would work in Vermont; I bought a tri-band phone so I would have servie in Vermont...no service in Vermont...

I called them and explained. Your account doesn't allow service outside your home service area. Ok, let's up the account. We can't.

Ok, then, cancel the account. OK, but there will be a $175 Early Termination fee.

Wiat, I've had the service for 3 weeks, I just found out it won't work where I need it to, and you won't cancel?

You had Two weeks to cancel, sir...

4 months and about a hundred calls to Customer Service and they FINALLY cancelled my account without an Early Termination fee. I had made arangements with TWO customer service 'managers' to cancel the account prior to that, who said if I faxed them something on a Company letterhead they would cancel the service. Both times I was told I would need a Utility bill from Vermont to cancel...I don't LIVE in Vermont, I WORK in Vermont. It all boiled down to "Too Bad...pay the $175" And a few of them were downright RUDE about it, too. Even before I started 'whining'...

FINALLY, 6 weeks after 'cancelling' my service by yanking my phone number, I got a girl with a brain, courtesy and, obviously, SOME kind of pull who cancelled my account for the $49 I owed for the bill.

I hope you never have any trouble with them...some of them are just plain asses.

Reply to
Hachiroku

If you look at there coverage map, you'll see they cover ALL of Mass except for one very small spot, that covers north/central Western Mass and a small section of Vermont...right where I need it to work!

If I skip the next town from me, the NEXT town has coverage. Oh, well...

The neat thing? With ANY cell telephone service, if you use the Zip Code from that town, you're covered for almost ALL of Mass, and all of Western Mass and into southern vermont. I use this Zip for Tracphone, Sprint and T-Mobile, and NEVER had roaming charges!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think you are thinking of another service. T-Mobile has excellent customer support. I've never had to wait for a rep when I've called and that has been only 2 or 3 times in the last two years. They consistantly get high marks in C/R with Verizon the highest and T-Mobile right below. True some markets are not as well served, but around here T-Mobile has cell sites all over the place. I've got one only about three blocks away and they're iinstalling new ones all the time.

Reply to
dbu,.

I see they will be ATT. The service around here is not that good. But T-Mobile service is not that good in some areas either. Verizon is maybe the best for coverage, they still have some analog sites in the rural areas where digital won't go.

Reply to
dbu,.

I still gots the phone and the box sitting right in front of me. The shame is, I liked the service, and if they had just upgraded my account, I'd still have them! But, they had to give me such a hard time I doubt I'll ever go back. The first person I talked to was downright RUDE! He told me, go ahead and cancel your account. I said, that will show up on my credit report, right? He said, That's your choice.

Two people LIED to me, by telling me if I sent them something on a Company letterhead they would cancel the account. I busted my ass to send one of the FAXES out before 5 PM one Saturday. In both cases in discussions with Customer Service, the person talking to me (of course, not EITHER of them the people that told me to FAX something to them...) told me, Well, it's noted on your account that you faxed something, but not a utility bill...

I usually don't adamantly complain about ANYBODY, but in T-Mobile's case, they gave me a about a 120 day run-around, Lied to me and misled me (I blame THAT on the Reseller that sold me the phone and the service to begin with, but at the time I thought they WERE T-Mobile, too. One of there Managers even called Customer Support and was given a run around!

Nah, it'll be a LONG TIME before I forget T-Mobile...

But when they were Omnipoint, they were OK....

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yup.

I much prefer prepaid for my use.

NO surprises on your bill.

If you talk too much they cut you off...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Cingular has good service here, except at my house. They lease a tower and the signal isn't that good or I would give up my wired telephone.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Your experience with T-Mobile may be different, but a friend of mine had the same problems Hachi had.

He is like Hachi and got his canceled after a LOT of arguing with their 'customer service' people.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Could you have talked to a T-Mobile store or a re-seller by chance. This sounds so much different from my experence, unless something has changed in the last 12 months.

Reply to
dbu,.

I went back to the store I bought it from, an authorized T-Mobile reseller. This was after my 4-5th call to T-Mobile. Then I went back again, and then I went back AGAIN! The manager of the store even got on the phone with a Manager and said it was their fault for not telling me my account had a restriction on it, and they still wouldn't budge...

It took about 20 calls after that before the matter was resolved and they waived the fee!

I think it took about 4-6 months, starting in October of 2005. I went ti Unicel, a company that specializes in remote areas of New England, and had them yank the number from T-Mobile, effectively canceling my service with them. The next bill reflected the $175 fee.

What a run-around!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Our first cellphone was from T-Mobile (Deutsche Telecom company) and it took no time at all to discover that EVERY single phone call was dropped. Their tower must have been miles from us. So I returned it and cancelled without much of a problem. Got Verizon, which is always on top in Consumer Reports ratings for quality of service, and can't recall the last time I had a dropped call. At one time I had ATT pay as you go service, which was $25 for three months. after a year, I renewed it once again by phone and said "Okay, that'll keep me for another three months" and the nice gal at ATT said "Errrrrr, not really. It will expire in 45 days." I said "in other words, your service just doubled in price?" "well............yes." I told her to cancel the renewal and said I'd never do business with ATT again. And I haven't.

Reply to
mack

I had a run-in with ATT a few years ago. They charged me for long distance calls I never made. I told them to take a hike. I guess I'm a little surprised at their marketing scheme, shuting down the Cingular name and replacing it with ATT. ATT has gotten some bad press in the last few years.

Reply to
dbu,.