08 Highlander

The Toyota site has info on the new Highlander - no prices.

Wife's comment was, "it better have better seats than the one you have now"

I guess that means she wants to sit in it before I buy?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

To me, it looks like a big Rav4, the wheel arches look like they are from a Mitsubishi Endeavor. I'm planning on going to the Chicago Auto Show, I'll have to check it out there. (it is nice to go as a spectator and not stand around handing out brochures and bags all day)

Reply to
Ray O

Good Ray - she hates the seats in the Highlander but we usually take it on trips. The interior looks like our Avalon (05) and she loves the seats in it.

I was beside the Mitsu today and yeah, now you mention it are similar. I don't know about 19" wheels that they say are standard. Ride?

Reply to
Ron

You can take that statement to the bank...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Take your camera and send us pictures!!!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

What's most interesting to me is Toyota's comment: "The 2008 Highlander is expected to get better gas mileage than the current model."

Recently I compared fuel economy of the RAV4, Subaru Outback, Escape hybrid, and Highlander hybrid. The Ford Escape wins, but among models recommended by Consumer Reports, the RAV4 wins. The RAV4 has a surprising amount of cargo space, and comfortable seating for four. Considering its high price, it's easy to reject the Highlander hybrid. City/combined/highway mileage:

17/23/29 RAV4 4 15/22/29 RAV4 V6 14/21/31 Subaru 4 13/19/28 Subaru V6 22/26/29 Escape hybrid 16/22/28 Highlander hybrid

If my Trooper broke down today, I'd get a RAV4 V6 4WD. If my Trooper lasts until next summer, I'll look at the 2008 Highlander. For a "recreational"

4WD vehicle, highway mileage seems more important than city mileage.
Reply to
Bill Tuthill

IMO, the trend towards larger wheels is more of a style thing - vehicles look more substantial with larger wheels and the larger wheels do improve ground clearance. The larger wheels also add unsprung weight so theoretically, handling will be worse but in most cases, people never notice. Wheel size affects ride quality to the extent that the larger sidewall area provides more cushioning, but the biggest effect on ride quality is suspension design.

Reply to
Ray O

Or he can find out how comfortable the couch is to sleep on!

Reply to
Ray O

Oh yeah, make me look like a Japanese tourist!

Reply to
Ray O

The current 4 cylinder Highlander has a 4 speed transmission and the V6 has a 5 speed transmission. I would imagine that a combination of different differential and transmission ratios or a 6 speed transmission would improve fuel economy.

In your comparison, the Highlander is a larger vehicle than the Rav4, Outback, and Escape so it would be at a fuel economy disadvantage. I would imagine that the hybrid drivetrain in the Escape is pretty comparable to Toyota's hybrid drivetrains since it is supplied by Aisin, a Toyota group company.

A more valid comparison for the Highlander would be the Mitsubishi Endeavor, Ford Edge, GM's crossovers, and the Kia and Hyundai crossovers.

As I'm sure you're aware, EPA fuel economy numbers tend to be optimistic when compared to real world figures, and IMO, the smaller the engine, the more optimistic fuel economy numbers tend to be because a small engine has to work harder to overcome variables like weight, road incline, and aerodynamic drag. For example, when we put a roof top carrier on our 4 cylinder 2.4 liter Previa or towed a 1,000 lb trailer with 7 passengers aboard, our real world high fuel economy dropped from about 21 to 14. Putting the same roof top carrier on our 4.7 liter V8 Sequoia made no measurable difference in fuel economy, and towing a larger 3,000 lb trailer decreased highway fuel economy about 2 MPG to about 14. Our kids are starting to move out of the house and I don't drive carloads of Boy Scouts or cheerleaders around every week like I used to. Since we do not need the passenger or cargo capacity of the Sequoia, after our daughter is off to college, I'm thinking that a Rav4 or Highlander would be sufficient for our needs.

Reply to
Ray O

Larger wheels are normally fitted with lower profile tires, thus there is no significant increase or decrease in the overall diameter or circumference of the tire wheel combination - an no increase in ground clearance.

Jack

Reply to
Jack G

And speak Japanese, just to throw them off...?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hell, I do....but you look the part a bit more than me.

Nothing wrong with that!!!!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Man 'must' learn who is boss....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Good point!

Reply to
Ray O

Well, instead of charging me $5 for a hot dog, they'll want $10!

Reply to
Ray O

I guess it's bigger, but it has .5 cubic foot less cargo space than the RAV4 or Escape, which both have 38.5 cubic feet according to CR. Here is the comparison with cargo space included:

cargo CR city/combo/ cu.ft. highway 38.5 17/23/29 RAV4 4 38.5 15/22/29 RAV4 V6 31.0 14/21/31 Subaru 4 31.0 13/19/28 Subaru V6 38.5 22/26/29 Escape hybrid 38.0 16/22/28 Highlander hybrid

Those fuel economy numbers were from Consumer Reports road testing. Agreed about EPA numbers.

That's certainly what happens with the Subaru. With kayaks on top, we typically experience under 20 MPG from a 6-cylinder Outback.

Interesting. However my friend with a Chevy Silverado does notice a drop-off in fuel economy with stuff on the roof. I'm not certain he has quantified this. Aerodynamics certainly play a role, because the old Silverado is big and has very poor coefficient of drag.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

I do know who the boss is. I call her maam too! Actually been married for over 33 years and we do good.

We had an 02 Avalon with same engine as our Highlander (3.0) - she drives same route to work/back and the 05 Avalon is a good 2mpg better. Its got less than 13K so expect it will improve.

We like the Highlander for size and the new one should do well for us - the RAV 4, even though nearly identical to my Highlander in specs does feel smaller to me. I am too old/fat to change my ways so will be a Highlander when the bloom goes off.

Reply to
Ron

I'll send the extra to ya!!!

Do you have a PayPal account?

....waiting for some pictures from my favorite 'Japanese tourist'...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I'm planning on going on the 17th or 18th. I'll have to visit the Aston Martin exhibit while I'm there

Since I'm not paying for tickets (the dealer my dad and I send all the referrals gets us passes), I suppose I could spring for hot dogs, but I'm cheap. We'll hit Chinatown for duck on the way home and go out for Chicago deep dish pizza or ribs afterwards.

A former co-worker is coming up from Indiana to spend the long weekend with us. The wives get to catch up and complain about the guys' bad habits (cars and camping with the Scouts) while the guys get to hit the auto show. Like me, he also spent time standing around the Boston auto show handing out bags and brochures so he like checking out all of the exhibits.

It will probably be Sunday or Monday before I can send the pictures.

Reply to
Ray O