Gas Filter Corolla

Hello,

Is my Corolla '94 1.6ltr supposed to have a gas filter? Does it need to be serviced or replaced? I don't remember having done so in all these years. Is it a do-it-yourself kind of maintenance?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Yes, your Corolla has a fuel filter. If fuel filter replacement is not specified in your owner's manual, then replacement is not required.

Reply to
Ray O

It really doesn't need service before at least 150K to 200K miles unless you've been feeding the car really dirty gas - it has a huge capacity for dirt before it will clog, and that's only the small stuff that gets past the primary "sock" filter inside the gas tank.

And you can DIY change it, but you have to know what you're doing. There is a real possibility of stripping the flare fitting nuts or kinking the steel tubing and making a big mess, even if you use a pair of the right metric tube-fitting flare wrenches to get it apart.

They must have an 800-Lb. Gorilla put them together at the factory, to the point where the threads are slightly deformed from the torque. It makes them a real b***ard to get apart cleanly.

I keep a spare filter on hand for emergencies, couldn't hurt for you to have one too... Might need it someday - Murphy's Law says the filter will clog up like a rock right after all the parts stores in the area have closed for a 3-day weekend.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman