Gas pump accuracy?

In the Navy, there are a lot of warning signs. We used to try to figure out who and how some poor sailor got maimed or killed to warrant the sign....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Some pumps around here disabled the click off function as people have pulled the hose out with gas still going.

At the price of gas now I let it click off and then round it up to the next dollar. The most it could be is about 1/3 of a gallon. Gas running about $

2.90 a gallon today.

This is the first time I heard the contamination mentioned . Thanks for the warning.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

How does not topping off at the pump increase the price of the gas?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Bruce L. Bergman opin'd thus:

No. Doesn't happen; never did; never will. You've been duped.

No there isn't. You've been duped.

No there aren't. You've been dubed.

But your paranoia level is WAY over the top, if you believe cell phones can make gasoline blow up. WAY over.

Reply to
Don Fearn

Rule: NOTHING is impossible if the causative elements are plausible. Even if the odds are astronomically high, it can happen.

The safety officials are saying "can't happen" - only because they can't analyze the few fires we have at gasoline fueling stations and prove how a fire got started, or they don't /want/ to prove how it did. If you work for the Cellular Telephone Industry or the Land Mobile Radio Communications industry, and you want to keep collecting those nice paychecks, you tow the corporate line like a good toady and say it can't happen.

It is almost impossible to prove where and how the fire started, the only thing that can't be disputed is that the fire happened. In the absence of any concrete evidence, for every expert one side can find to point to a cause, the other side can find an equal expert that can rule it out - Dueling Liars.

O Rly? U Dont Say...

What color is the sun on your home planet? Ours is yellow.

You can pull an arc with 5v or less across the keys, but the energy level is so low as to not provide the energy to light off gasoline vapors, even with an ideal mix.

There's more of a spark path with a brush type motor for the vibrate function, unless they've gone to the expense of making a brushless stepper motor for the vibrator. It would eliminate failure from brush wear, but add a lot to the manufacturing cost.

Where the spark potential really kicks in is in the final RF amplifier section, where they're pushing out a half watt to five watts of RF, and an arc in a loose antenna connection could easily dissipate enough energy to light gasoline vapors in the proper concentration.

Absurdly long odds =/= impossible.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

"EdV" ...

I live in NJ too. This ought to be stated that Pump attendants are not supposed to do these things. I have seen every one of these things done at stations in NJ: topping off, gassing when the car is on, and gassing when the driver is on the phone. It is so reassuring that we have these highly trained technologists working this dangerous job for us.

Now I take my tongue back out of my cheek and state that I would not want to trade in this practice at all. It is extremely convenient that I do not need to get out and do it, especially when it is bad outside. I also do not buy the counter argument that having up pump it ourselves will save us on gas prices. A couple of cents does not matter much now at these prices anyway, and NJ gas is among the cheapest in the nation due to a relatively low gas tax rate. This is one of the reasons that I like living in NJ. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Scott in Florida" ...

Scott - I saw a surveillance video at work a couple of years ago in Safety training where someone standing next to their car turned on their phone and the fumes lit up. That person was standing out at the pump nozzle pumping IIRC. Apparently there can be a slight spark or its electromagnetic field can byproduct an arc or somesuch. Not really sure, but it convinced me well enough. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"EdV" ...

On my Jeep Wrangler, a vehicle that is more tippy than most, it says this on the visor: "Avoid abrupt maneuvers and excessive speed .... See owners manual for further information" There you go Ed, these warnings are already appearing... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Corollary is we'd be better off without them.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Bruce L. Bergman opin'd thus:

You'd best adjust that tinfoil in your hat; that'll guarantee that you won't have THEM listening to your brainwaves. Yeah, it's a small chance that they're doing that, but as you say . . .

Absurdly long odds =/= impossible.

-D

Reply to
Don Fearn

According to snopes.com the answer is no:

Ray O

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

Terrorists may have placed a bomb at the station that could be detonated by a cell phone

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Ray O" ...

Mythbusters debunked that one too.

Welcome back, Ray!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Which station?

Evidence please.

Or is this just ignorance-based fear-mongering?

To the best of knowledge, there are no devices that are triggered by using cell phones nearby.

It is not that difficult to make a device that will trigger an event when a particular cell phone is dialed (e.g., the output to the vibrator thing can be rewired to trigger outside events), but that requires that a specific phone be called, not someone use a phone while filling a car or truck.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks! It's great to be back!

Reply to
Ray O

So, how was your vacation?

Reply to
sharx35

Great!

My LS430 got between 26 and 28 MPG while cruising at 75 MPH, which is why I took it instead of the Sequoia.

We caught and ate lots of fish - largemouth & smallmouth bass, walleye, and northern pike.

We saw a wolf, moose, hawks, loons, and eagles. Some of the local guides will take one of the fish they caught, whack it in the head, whistle at the eagle, and toss the fish in the water. The eagles will swoop out of the trees, grab the fish, and return to their nests. My friend took a series of pictures that looks like something out of National Geographic.

The only thing we missed this trip were the northern lights and a bear, which means that we'll have to head back up there again some time!

Reply to
Ray O

You must have missed that article when while reading you edition of the Inquirer LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I haven't read the Philadelphia Inquirer in years.

Unfortunately, you still haven't learned to back your claims.

I hope you don't wonder why we don't take you seriously.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff