GM's Butt buddies

That will not happen. Japanese and Korean companies are not building plants in the US. For the most part the plants are 'Turnkey' operations, built by the taxpayers in those states to attract new manufacturing. Not only do thy have to pay off the thirty or fourth year bonds for the plant the state and local taxpayers built vo-tech school in which to train the workers, at taxpayer expense. As far I know the only foreign assemble plant built with corporate money was the GM/Toyota plant in California.

The state of Pennsylvania only recently paid off the bonds that built the VW plant in Westmorland in the late seventies to build the Rabbit only to have VW pull out and leave the state taxpayers holding the bag a few years later. I worked as a field engineer for VW there, They put up a notice on the bulletin boards in the middle of the month to notify us that the would cease operations in two weeks on the first of the month.

If GM goes under do you think Toyota will still build cars in the US once the get their Chinese plant up and running in a few years? I don't

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is what I mean by a leaner and more profitable organization.

They may also sell the designs of some of their vehicles (and the

As a former Toyota employee, I have some insight as to how Toyota's senior management thinks. Toyota has no interest in purchasing designs or rights to produce GM vehicles, at least not from a desire to sell GM vehicles. On the other hand, Toyota *might* do so if GM were to ask for such a business association. Toyota's management and board of directors respect their competitors and take all of them seriously. Toyota already has a history of association with GM through NUMMI and as an outlet for some GM products in Japan.

Reply to
Ray O

Naturally Toyota as no interest in purchasing designs or rights to produce GM vehicles, or any other maufacure, for that matter. They will just steal the designs, as they always have. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Our company has a Hyundai Santa Fe with a 2.7L 6 Cyl engine. Is this a Chrysler engine?

Reply to
Bob Palmer

I guess that would depend on where one lives, don't you think? I know of two in my neighborhood and I also see one of the Cadillac version that sells for $100,000, the name of which escapes me at the moment, running up around Wilmington ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

SLR - one of Cadillac's best kept secrets

Reply to
Ray O

No.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

It is my understand Hyundai builds their own engines under license to Mitsubishi

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter