Wiring information for '06 Matrix

I need to install a trailer light power converter, and it would be a great help if I knew where I could get access to most of the wires in one place. (I'll have to run a hot wire to the battery, but I can hack that.) Is there a place I can get a wiring diagram without buying a service manual from the dealer? Are there third-party manuals available?

TIA

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Did mine a couple months ago. All of the wires were easily accessible from the two small hatches in the corners. I found the installation instructions on a T-Connector website very helpful.

Here is the color code info: Factory harness colours are:

passenger side green/yellow stripe : green (right blinker)

drivers side green/yellow stripe : yellow (left blinker) solid green : brown (headlights) green/white stripe : red (brakes) white/black stripe : brown (ground)

If you use the ground wire, when you use your blinkers with a trailer hooked up, your dash lights will blink 2 or 3 times until the relay catches up.

Reply to
DB

For $10/day, you can get online access to the factory service manuals, wiring diagrams, etc. at techinfo.toyota.com.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks. I might do that, but DB's information is probably enough. I was hoping to find a break-out location that had all the cinnections in the same place so I don't need to run wires across the cargo area. Maybe I'll run them under the floor by drilling through.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

What I call tail lights, no?

Also brown? In my trailer harness, it's white.

The trailer was a kit that came in 3 50-lb boxes. It's powder painted and bolted together. There's no indication in the assembly instructions that any scraping needs to be done, and the instructions say to use the frame as ground. I've been there too many times. I ran a ground wire all around. As far as I'm concerned, the hitch ball can ground the frame. Or not.

Thanks. The color codes will make installation much easier.

There's a "power converter" that goes between the car's wires and the trailer's. It takes power from the battery and uses the car's wires as low-power signals to drive the outputs. I could have built one, but I'm getting lazy in my old age. I'm thinking of adding a back-up light, but that can come later.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Thanks. I've been exploring around there, and I see that there's plenty of room to pass from left to right in concealed runways. I found a wire in th corner where a wire runs through the trunk pan, but I haven't located it on the underside yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the back end up on ramps for a better look. There's a big black plastic box that seems to obstruct a direct view, but there's space between in and the underside of the area around the tire well.I may get the wires out to the hitch that way and not have to bring them out under the back hatch.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Thanks for all the help. It works like a charm.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins