HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Hello, I have a 1998 Corolla LE, which we bought used in 2003. When we bought it teh check engine light was on, my husband whom is a mechanic & worked at Firestone, took it to work & did an engine diagnoses on it. It cam back the oxygen sensor. We replaced it, and the light came BACK on 2 days later. Once it because the fuel cap wasn't on tight enough, the light will NOT stay off no matter what we have done for more then 2 days. We ended up replacing the motor this summer because it was hesitating real bad & started smoking (only had about 137,000 miles on it). The sensor again went off for 2 days but came back once again. Anyone know why my check engine light might be staying on all the time? Both my husband-a mechanic & my uncle-mechanic & owns his own garage have checked my car & are clueless. Suggestions anyone????

And last, I lost my keyless entry/alarm remote about 6months ago, and I purchased another one, but do not have the program instructions for it. Could anybody out there PLEASE help me out!? It's aggrivating when our 3yr old opens the door before I get to the car & the alram starts going off.

Any help would be GREATLY appriciated!!! Thanks in advance! ~ Sara

Reply to
TheCatronFamily

I have a patent answer for you. Had the same trouble with a Tercel. Both O2 sensors, EGR checked good, replaced the PCV, etc. Until I replaced the vaccuum hoses. I didn't try to troubleshoot it, I just bought a whole roll and replaced them ALL. That did it.

What you can try is reaching inside (behind) the glove box (ENGINE AND KEY OFFFFFF!!!!!!) and disconnect the plug to the computer. This will reset it. I could usually drive for a couple days, full power, full fuel economy, before the MIL came back on again.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Your check engine light is staying on because your car is trying to tell you something. Do you know what the trouble code is?

Reply to
qslim

Your husband mechanic should know that the car is OBD II (On Board Diagnostics, Level 2) compliant, and he can buy a diagnostic code reader on eBay for about $100. This handy device will tell him exactly what the car thinks is wrong with it, and all he needs to do is determine which codes can have a ripple effect that cause other codes -- for example the gas cap code is part of a family of about 20 codes that are all pretty much interrelated.

Maybe you need a new mechanic ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You need better parenting skills so you can teach your child to obey you and not open the door to the car without your permission.

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

You posted that wrong. It confused me until I went back to the OP.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You have not provided enough information for anyone to provide an invormed answer as to the cause of the check engine light. As someone else mentioned and as your husband-a mechanic and your uncle-mechanic should know, your car is On Board Diagnostice generation II (OBD II) compliant. That means any OBD II code reader can read the codes and should be able to clear the trouble codes stored in your car's computer. The OBD II system can store multiple trouble codes, and assuming your husband-a mechanic and your uncle-mechanic are checking for mutiple codes, we would need the codes currently stored in the computer memory to provide a response.

If the codes are still pointing to the oxygen sensor, then the questions are: What are the actual trouble codes? Was the replacement sensor(s) OEM or aftermarket? Is the replacement sensor a heated one? What are the voltage readings from the O2 sensor? Did husband-a mechanic and your uncle-mechanic check the wiring between the O2 sensor and the ECU?

Your husband or uncle can purchase daily or annual access to Toyota's technical publications at

or you can search the web for previouis posts of the procedure for programming rthe keyless entry remote, assuming that the system is a factory accessory and not an aftermarket one.

Reply to
Ray O