Mystery shudder/pulse

Apparently, it's not the brakes. Just had the truck in AGAIN to try to diagnose this. A week ago it was quite pronounced, but of course today it almost totally vanished. Shop can't find anything wrong at all (and didn't charge me a thing for looking - yay!)

"It" is a pulse when braking, most noticeable with about medium pressure on the brake pedal.

Over the last couple of days, it's been very cool and wet. Before, it was dry, and usually hot.

If it's not brakes, I suppose that leaves suspension, though I can't say for sure whether the shudder exists when I'm not braking. Sometimes I think there might be something... but it's very subtle and could be road surface.

This is a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT, 4x4. Any ideas?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Other than run until failure ...........

How long has it been since you had the alignment, the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc, looked at?

Any evidence of cupping of the tires or uneven wear?

Rotor inspection?

Driveline balance weight get knocked off?

Loose U joints?

Loose disc pads?

Hey, it's the obvious, but lots of times I think of all these exotic things that COULD be wrong, then I find the OBVIOUS problem.

Start with the basics, and the cheaps and frees, then just eliminate until you end up with the problem.

Have you considered a Chebby?

Just kiddin ...........

Let us know what it was.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Suddenly, without warning, Steve B exclaimed (10/4/2010 3:50 PM):

Recently, see below

Very, very slight feathering

Today

What's that?

Recently replaced (Feb)

Nope, part of today's check.

Wish I knew. Don't think it's the brakes, I've had three different shops look at them. Not sure what else it could be though. What would be affected by the weather, either wet/dry or hot/cold?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Haven't been on here awhile. I got a 03 Ram used, Hemi and all disc brakes. I got a pulsing. Probably you should take some mic readings, as far as I'm concerned, the dealers are pitiful, lately. So far I've called 2 dealers to look for parts to an unrelated repair, and both times I got erroneus answers. The guy that sold me the truck though, just had a brake job done, and asked the mechanic about the pulsing. The mechanic said the pulsing is coming from coming up to stops, too slow, like riding the brake in, which is somthing I've always done, because it seems safer to me, to gradually approach a stop. He said that's fine but then it deforms the rotors, so come up fast to stop, and it's been hard for me to do. Don't know if yours is all disc but something to think about and research.

Reply to
stolarskin

What's with the stoopid,

"Suddenly, without warning, SteveB exclaimed"?

If you want advice, just ask.

If you want to play cutesie, figure it out for yourself.

If you don't know that when a driveline is balanced, a weight is put on it just like a tire, then you obviously don't know much about what you're dealing with. It is a rotating device, sometimes at high rpm's, and needs to be balanced. At times, these can fall off, get knocked off, or whatever.

Take it to the dealer and pay what they want.

And keep your "Suddenly, without warning, SteveB exclaimed".

Suddenly, without warning, I get it that I understand about driveline balancing, and I see you have no clue.

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

She's used that phrase for years, since she first entered the group. I don't believe you've never noticed it before.

Reply to
BigIronRam

It's the same as greeting someone with, "Hello, Stupid!"

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hardly. My newsgroups have been set up that way for at least 5 years, probably more, and you're the first person to complain. Sorry, deal with it or killfile me :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

When you prefer to take some stupid intro to just saying hello, the choice is simple.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I am on a road trip without the trailer, Eastern NC to Middle IA. Sunday Mid morning the ole truck started shuddering like I was on a washboard road, I was running about 65 at the time. Of course I slowed a bit and switched lanes it did not get better it got worse. I looked at the dash and the darn OBD maintenance light was on. Here I am 5 hours from the days scheduled stop, Sunday Morning and truck was running like crap. Tires, broken mount what was the problem? 20 minutes to fuel-stop, OK, I'll nurse it to the fuel-stop, like to near shook my teeth out every time it pulled a little and RPM got below

2000. Got exit for fuel-stop and I knew what it was, pulled up to stop light and the miss was terrible.

I knew it was not a good thing but I needed to be another 200 miles down the road by the end of the day and being Sunday there was no place I was going to get this repaired at a price I was willing to pay. Down the road we go keep, Rpm above 2100 as much as possible, made it to my destination.

Monday bright and early I was at the local Dodge service center as the Service Manager arrived to open up, got it in for repair.

Codes I had from the three key turn option and confirmed by the shops scanner: P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected P0308­ Cylinder #8 Misfire P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

Test of #8 coil showed it was totally dead. LDP pump was not working Weak spark in two additional cylinders.

Cure 16 spark plugs, one set of plug wires, one new coil, and one new LDP pump and purge solenoid. Five hours and a little over $1000 she is running like a top again. plus work is has one year parts warranty if done at any Dodge Service Shop.

BTW shop manager had them put it on their machine to power test it before they let me have it back, glad they did. They were just finishing the run and had it at 347HP when I thought someone had shot a cannon off and she died, flat stopped running. Busted a #8 exhaust valve spring. They had the parts and we made a deal, I pay the 31 bucks for the spring and they eat the labor. only took the tech an hour to do the repair and and re-power test it topped at 351 HP on second test.

On to IA tomorrow and then back toward NC on Friday.

I'll let you know if the shudder comes back.

Happy Camping. snipped-for-privacy@NOPANTS.juno.com Remove NOPANTS To reply by direct E-Mail;

2003 Dodge 1500 QC SB Hemi, A/T, Tow Package, 3.92 gears (11 mpg Towing) 2001 Aerolite 21RDB 21ft TT (Scales 2900 dry)
Reply to
Thats Me

She'd never say that, she's a nice lady even if she is a little stingy with the Chocolate Chop Cookies...

The brake thing is a recurring problem for her, I hope she can get it resolved. If she was near here I'd try to fix it for her if she'd trade for getting some of these proprietary (NVIDIA and ATI in Linux) drivers configured and working properly for me. I'm really good at fouling them up.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Heck, I'd trade you some proprietary Chocolate Chip Cookies if you could figure that stupid pulse out, and fix it! Much better at the cookies than I am at Linux drivers!

And than you for your defense :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

It is good go be able to come into a discussion group and say, "at 65, I have a shudder, vibration, wobble, and would like to hear from someone who has had the same experience.

It is not helpful to hear

Lassie heard from Timmie just before he fell down the well, or Marcus J spewed,

Or Larry W screamed just before he went unconscious:

It is nice to hear:

This is what I did.

I had the same experience, and I did:

or

from my experience, I learned this.

All this hooey that is provided by Internet answering robots seriously takes away from the advice and answers that one might have to say based on personal observation and experience by trying to state some drama queen intro.

So and so spewed. What's that, Lassie, Timmy has fallen down the well AGAIN and needs to know the answer, So and so exclaimed, and all the other bullshit that some bong smoking script writer lamely came up with doesn't make as much common sense as as direct terse answer.

Just stick to the facts about what happened to YOU in YOUR situation, and it will make a far better story.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

As other's have pointed out to you Jodi has used that for a looong time. She even suggested a option for you since you found it sooo upsetting.

Now you want to moderate.

I'll play!

Why don't ya get a large cup of STFU and stop being a prick!!!

Reply to
Roy

"PlowBoy" wrote

Don't worry, my friend. Those mushrooms will wear off eventually, and you'll start talking in sentences and making sense. Enjoy your "trip".

And don't worry. You'll EVENTUALLY get out of middle school. They won't keep you there forever because it is not PC any more.

Steve :-)

Reply to
Steve B