how do I tell if my 96 Camry was made in Japan or in USA?

Hi,

I got a 96 Camry. Two days ago, the powered side mirror of the passenger seat was damaged by the garage door. Thanks to my dear wife's wonderful driving skill...Anyway, the "suspect" is irresponsible and I have to heal my poor carmy myself.

I decided to buy the side-mirror part and install it myself. However, when I ordered the part, I then realized that there are two kinds of the powered side mirror for 96 Carmy: one for the car made in USA; one for Japan.

My question is how do I tell if my 96 Camry was made in Japan or in USA? Or how do I know if my damaged side-mirror was made in Japan or in USA?

Thanks.

--peter

Reply to
LKK

Look at the 17-digit Vehicle Idenification Number (VIN). If the first character is a "J" then it is made in Japan. It doesn't matter where the mirror is made, only the final assembly plant. Look at the sticker ont he driver's door jamb for the VIN. While you are at it, note the color and trim code if the mirror is body-colored and the production date to give to the parts deparment.

Reply to
Ray O

Amazingly when I owned a Nissan that was assembled in the US, the only problems I had were the US made parts. The engine never gave any problems but that was back when they made them right on the Nissan, not any more. So, I would think the same applies to the Toyota parts ? PS: My current cars are Toyotas.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Ray,

Thanks a lot. It is useful.

--peter

Reply to
LKK

The VIN number. One of the first 3 or 4 digits will tell yoiu what country the car was built in. The dealer can tell you ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You're welcome! good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

In my experience, parts sourced in North America are not that much worse than parts sourced in Japan. Of course, most parts sourced in N.A. are made with the same process and specifications as the ones sourced in Japan.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes on some parts you need to know whether US or Japanese -- as the parts are different (like mount differently).

Reply to
Wolfgang