Made in Japan of USA

I kmow by the VIN you can tell if the car was made in this country or Japan. Anyone know exactly how? It's a 2000 camry.

Thanks

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

Me

VIN number begins w/1=US J=Japan

Reply to
hachiroku

Not exactly. There are also other codes depending on the percent of US made parts, even if final assembly is in the US. I don't think any US assembled Toyotas have a '1'. You can Google this or check the Google newsgroup archives for all the codes, since it has been discussed before.

Reply to
Mark A

Elsewhere on this forum today, i posted to MikeHunt that I saw for myself a row of brand new Corollas ... ALL with a VIN starting with the number 1. The Matrix' began with the number 2. I did not look at any Tacoma pickups.

Reply to
Philip

1=USA 2=Oh, Canada 3-Mexico 4&5=US J=Japan

I THINK 4 is made by Toyota USA or NUMMI w/>60% Japanese parts, and 5 is built by NUMMI w/>60% US parts. I just sold a Tacoma w/ a 5, and I know it was built by NUMMI.

Going by this Tacomas should mostly be 5's and Tundras 4's

I know a LOT of Nissans are 1's which is a high percentage of US parts.

Reply to
hachiroku

If you look at the new Holden import Pontiac GTO, it's a 6.

Reply to
Philip

Thanks everyone Jack

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

Me

Are those imported from Australia? And, are they imported Complete? It could be that Holden is making the shells and the engines and interiors are fitted here...

Reply to
hachiroku

Oh, no! You ain't ending this thread with a simple "Thanks"!!!! ;) BTW, you're welcome!

Reply to
hachiroku

I think that when he said "Thanks" that does not apply to you since you supplied the wrong answer (saying that Toyotas where either 1 or J).

Reply to
Mark A

Look into those details and get back to me. ;-)

Reply to
Philip

OK!

Reply to
hachiroku

Ok, so I was wrong....ONCE!

Reply to
hachiroku

Um, besides:

So there!

Reply to
hachiroku

My question is.........Who cares???

Reply to
Butherus'

Actually, Tacomas, Tundras, Sequoias, and even 2004+ Siennas have "5" as the first number.

My Tundra, built in Princeton, Indiana, starts off "5T" and so have all Sequoias I have seen. So do CA built Tacos, so I would be willing to venture a guess that "5" means a truck based vehicle, or a vehicle built on assembly lines that can accomodate trucks. The last part is meant for the 2004+ Sienna, which is also built at TMMI (moved from TMMK) and carries a "5" for the first VIN number. So "5" does not mean exclusively NUMMI-built.

My Avalon, built in Georgetown, Kentucky, begins with the number "4," as do Camrys that come from that plant.

To sum it up, "5"s come from plants that can build trucks (like TMMI), and "4"s from those that cannot (at least for now), and build mainly just cars (like TMMK). I think NUMMI separates Corollas and Tacomas by using a "1" and "5" repectively, with "5" being the truck and "1" being the car. Only TMMK uses "4" AFAIK. The rest are pretty much as Hachiroku said, and I would also add "W" for Germany (at least that's what it is on my sister's non-Mexican VW, an 84 Vanagon camper van).

My guess is that the next gen Tundra which is going to be built in both Indiana and a new plant in Texas are more than likely going to carry "5"s as well.

Reply to
Master0fToyz

They are from down under.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Shhhhhhhhhh. This is hachiroku's assignment!

Reply to
Philip

My 96 Camry starts with 4T. I do know it was built in the US. Not sure what the T means.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

1st digit is the country of origin, 2nd (letter) is manufacturer. So the "T" is Toyota. What I don't get is why Chryslers are "B" (unless it has somethingto do with dodge Brothers...)
Reply to
hachiroku