Re: {{ OT }} It's too bad JoeSpareBedroomInHisHead could not explain ...

Now we KNOW you are disconnected from reality, while your president has been kicked in the pants by his advisors and told to get connected with reality:

PARIS - The decision by the Bush administration to send a senior American official to participate in international talks with Iran this weekend reflects a double policy shift in the struggle to resolve the impasse over the country's nuclear program..

First, the Bush administration has decided to abandon its longstanding position that it will only meet face-to-face with Iran after it first suspends uranium enrichment as demanded by the United Nations Security Council.

Second, it infuses the negotiating track between Iran on the one side and the six global powers - France, Britain, Germany, Russia, China and the United States -- on the other with new importance, even though their official stance is that no substantive talks can begin until the uranium enrichment stops.

The presence of William J. Burns, the under secretary of state for political affairs, at the meeting led by Javier Solana, the European Union foreign policy chief, and Saeed Jalili, Iran's nuclear negotiator, in Geneva on Saturday brings with it both symbolic and substantive significance.

All of the Bush administration's negotiating partners, particularly the Europeans and the Russians, have been pressing Washington to join the talks. They welcomed the decision to send Mr. Burns as an important signal by the Bush administration, in its final months in office, that it is seeking a peaceful solution to the nuclear crisis and not moving toward military action against Iran.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, maybe Iran is the one dangling the carrot now. Increased oil production and lower prices will make everyone outside of the Middle East happy.

Reply to
badgolferman

And if they could get their president to shut his trap for a whole year, it could make some oil speculators very unhappy, which would be a wonderful thing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom