How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?

The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could not get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too tight, and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.

I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new filter on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get a good grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.

Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to where it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so difficult to remove?

Reply to
sms88

I've never heard of a specific torque. You're supposed to lubricate the seal then spin the filter on until the seal contacts the block, then turn 3/4 rotation to seal. You are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the filter, although because of heat it may be necessary to use the wrench to get the filter off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Directions should be on the box the filter came in. Usually something like oil the gasket with clean oil, screw it on until contact then another 3/4 turn. I often use my 18 inch channel locks to take them off, sometimes a strap wrench made from a big box end wrench and some rope. Watch those sensors, and wires when you remove the filters some of them can be easily broken. I usually tighten the new filter as much as I can by hand, I can always get them off with the big channel locks or the strap wrench. Here's one that was really stuck,

Mr. Austerity

You can't get your hand in there to tighten the filter but want to use a torque wrench? If there's enough room to get a cap wrench in there then there ought to be enough room to get fingers around it. Tightening an oil filter is not that hard. Removing one is much harder, especially if you have a heat shield blocking it like my last two Toyotas have. I removed those heat shields permanently after the first oil change.

Reply to
badgolferman

Tighten 3/4 turn after the seal touch the base, that is written on the filters here.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn

Nobody does.

That's why you don't let idiots work on your car.

That's far from saying that everyone else other than you is an idiot.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Looks like my filter after the dealer changed the oil for me.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

The Toyota oil filter box lists the torque as 10 ft lbs

Reply to
w.troop

The way to install an oil filter is 1.) printed on the filter, and 2.) has no "specific" torque.

Open the box. Take the filter out. Use your finger to spread fresh motor oil around the gasket. Spin the filter on until the gasket touches the block. Turn the filter an additional 3/4-turn. Clean up the mess you made.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
w.troop

The Toyota genuine parts box has the instructions on how to install the oil filter. It specifies 9.5 +- 2 ft-lbs torque. And while you are at it the o il drain plug is specified as 30 ft-lbs and the wheel lug nuts (assuming yo u rotate the tires when changing the oil is 80 ft-lbs. I was taught to rebu ild engines by Germans, you use a torque wrench on everything. My Honda als o has the oil filter torque specified.

Reply to
w.troop

What is the torque spec for a 05 accord 4 cylinder and an 01 5.0 chev for the oil filter

Reply to
jcsk84

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Tight enough that you need a tool to get it off.

Or as my dad would say 'bout this much' as he popped the cap on a cold beer with a hand operated church key...

Reply to
NotMe

Most all oil filters should have the gasket oiled, and applied only hand tight. Even with hand tightness, after being on the car for 5000 or so miles will usually require the filter tool to remove it. BTW, ALWAYS check for leaks at the filter and oil plug after starting the engine.

Reply to
nm5k

Most all oil filters should have the gasket oiled, and applied only hand tight. Even with hand tightness, after being on the car for 5000 or so miles will usually require the filter tool to remove it. BTW, ALWAYS check for leaks at the filter and oil plug after starting the engine.

----------------------------------------- For tightening oil filters, torque is way too inaccurate a measure, as it will depend on the temperatures, cleaning and lubrication of the surfaces. What counts is the axial compression of the seal (O-ring), which through the thread pitch is conveniently transferred to the twisting angle when tightening the filter. My Toyota oil filters are clearly labelled with the instruction to tighten

3/4 turn more from when the seal just starts being compressed. That is usually done by hands only. The seal shall be lubricated before mounting, which original filters normally are.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjorn

il filter. It specifies 9.5 +- 2 ft-lbs torque. And while you are at it the oil drain plug is specified as 30 ft-lbs and the wheel lug nuts (assuming you rotate the tires when changing the oil is 80 ft-lbs. I was taught to re build engines by Germans, you use a torque wrench on everything. My Honda a lso has the oil filter torque specified.

Thanks for the specs! I prefer to use the torque wrench for everything as w ell

Reply to
julian.ramirez.located