oil filter totaly stuck

Pickup up an 85 gmc 1500. Good working condition. I went to change oil, and found the drain plug was very tight. but after some penitrating oil it came loose. Should have know that the filter was stuck even worse. I have tried every thing in my garage to get it off. rubber gripper, cap wrench, cap wrench with rubber gripper, strap wrench, chain wrench, then finnally the dreaded screw driver through the filter, and as normal this just shread the case of the filter. So after cutting away most of the case, I tried a screw driver to the holes in the base of the filter. But no luck. The filter sets into a slight reces, so it is hard ro get at a good angle to get it to turn. Is there any type of tool that could be set into the holes and then a wrench put to it. Or any other great ideas?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David DeWitt

Take a piece of pipe, weld some "fingers" on it that will fit into the holes, weld a nut to the other end of the pipe. With the proper size socket,

1/2" socket wrench, and the longest bar you can handle, reef on it with all your might.

The last time this happend to me a hammer and punch to the holes was all I needed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Don't have any welding equipment. I guess I could find some shop weld this up. This vehical had a "Champ" brand oil filter. Do other brands have the holes spaced the same? If not, who sells champ brand filters?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David DeWitt

At that point I would get a propane torch and heat the edge of the filter near the gasket. That should soften the rubber enough to be able to make the removal. Of course always use caution when using any open flame not to come in contact with burnable or meltable items. If it's really tight quarters... I usually use plain old Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil as a temporary heat shield.

Professor

Professor

Well after some more time on my back. Found an long cold chisel. I was able to get a hold of the base of the oil filter. It was almost two whole turns before it was free enough to turn by hand. Sure would like to use that chisel on the guy that installed that filter.

Thanks for the suggestions, Dave

Reply to
David DeWitt

"David DeWitt" wrote: > Pickup up an 85 gmc 1500. Good working condition. > I went to change oil, and found the drain plug was very tight. > but after > some penitrating oil it came loose. > Should have know that the filter was stuck even worse. I have > tried every > thing in my garage to get it off. rubber gripper, cap wrench, > cap wrench > with rubber gripper, strap wrench, chain wrench, then > finnally the dreaded > screw driver through the filter, and as normal this just > shread the case of > the filter. So after cutting away most of the case, I tried > a screw > driver to the holes in the base of the filter. But no luck. > The filter > sets into a slight reces, so it is hard ro get at a good angle > to get it to > turn. Is there any type of tool that could be set into the > holes and then a > wrench put to it. Or any other great ideas? > > Thanks, > Dave

One thing I would try is grabbing a kettle and pouring boiling water over the threaded area, get it really hot and try again with some of your methods. May not help too much but I would try it in your case.

Reply to
Stza