tight as an oil filter

I've spent this afternoon changing oil and filters ( and some other stuff ) and as usual the last service was done using a mountain gorilla to nip up the oil filter.So tight in fact that stitching on the webbing of the trusty oil filter wrench snapped . I had to dig out a bike chain and bar filter wrench and that looked like it was going to cut the filter in half before it finally moved grudgingly. Is there some K-Tel type device about now that I have missed out on or are we all on the page of the hymn sheet?.

Derek Disco TDi 200

Bike chain thingy

mine is ancient and not so pretty

Reply to
Derek

I got a device that looks like a 3 clawed set of prongs, fits over spin off filter and when force is applied with a socket to the nut at the base it tightens and twists the filter until it comes loose. Only about £10. Mind you I always smear oil on the new ruuber gasket before replacing filter, maybe they didnt do this ?

Reply to
Hirsty's

This type of thing is about the best.

EMB

Thats the one

Reply to
Hirsty's

That website seems to be exclusively North American.How/where did you get yours - presumably nearer home.

Hawkeye

Reply to
Hawkeye23

I'd noticed that sort of wrench on Machine Mart

and |I wasn't sure if it might be a snakeoil type thing but I think I'll go with the consensus and spring for one.Of course since I don't employ a mountain gorilla to fit my filters I'm sure next service it will come off with the aid of a leather work glove to give that extra grip ( taking no chances if I have the tool I can live with not having to use it ) and like Hirsty I've always lubricated the seal beforehand although I prefer a spot of grease.Derek Disco 200TDi

Reply to
Derek

Reply to
Gazza

In the local Indian factor; Belvedere Kent.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Make you wonder if come the next advertising campain the might consider Adam Ant for the music I was thinking "Stand and Deliver" .We had an exceptional Independant motor spares in Altrincham who were forced out by Hfrds opening a supermarket on the doorstep I hope their till rolls rot Derek

Reply to
Derek

Just stick a screwdriver through it - free (if a bit messey)!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It looking like that might be an option but this was so tight I thought it might have been cross threaded I do have the ultimate deterrant which moves just about anything a 3 foot pipe wrench - the tool of last resort even hubnuts come free aided by a length of scaffolding pole. Derek

Reply to
Derek

I knew someone would suggest it in the end - I'm just a bit surprised that it was you who decided to do so. ;-)

Reply to
EMB