How to change tranny fluid on '98 4Runner?

I have a 4 cylinder '98 4Runner with an automatic transmission. Can someone explain how to change the transmission fluid in it?
TIA

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 05:23:43 -0700, bird_222 wrote:

Underneath it, remove the squarish metal pan held on by porbably a dozen bolts. There may be a drain plug, but since you're there anyway it is more thourough to remove the pan and change the filter. The filter on this may be a metal screen, so at least clean the screen. You will only remove about 4-6 quarts this way. Removing all the tranny fluid at on a vehicle this old is not recommended.
--
It doesn't take a genius
to know the difference

Where is the drain plug located? And how do you do the differentials?
Oh, and what kind and how many quarts of fluid does it take to refill it?
bird snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Here's how I do it: http://www.auto-rx.net / http://www.auto-rx.net/pages/applicationsB.html Probably 14 quarts of ATF.
For the differentials and transfer case, drive around to get things warm, then look at them. You'll see a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug about 1/2 or 2/3 of the way up the side. Get the exact size wrench needed for these. Loosen the fill plug first. If you can't loosen it, don't drain the oil out. Remove the drain plug. When all the oil has drained out, reinstall the plug. If the plug has a gasket, buy a new one at an auto parts store or dealership. Fill up to the fill plug level. If a hand pump or funnel and long tube is needed to fill, have that ready first. Any good auto parts store or your owner's manual will have the correct gear oil spec for you.
Ken
I use Kendall synthetic in the differentials --- same is use in the std trans and it makes a difference there. I used a long clear tube in the pointed spout of the Kendall qt jugs which made filling easier. Check back of owners manual for qty.

Plan on buying a Tundra in early 06 - don't know squat about Toyota's but do know this - many tranny and power steering systems require specific fluids - using something else may cause big problems - may not maybe better. I know if you use any other ATF in a honda - some supposedly meet honda specs now - you will have problems - PS fluid is even more critical - blows the seals if you use something else - brother used some generic PSF in his Camry (the big one - memory goes with age) and now he has to replace the rack - expensive.
So being a pioneer may have risks.
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

2000-2002 Tundras use Dexron-III ATf. 2003-2004 Tundras use Toyota Type T-IV ATF. 2005 Tundras use Toyota Type WS ATF.
I'm not at all sure the generic power steering fluid in a Camry is the cause of damage. If he let the system get too low from leakage before he refilled it, that is the reason.
Ken