2001 S40 Bumper Replacement

As a result of a minor accident, my 18 son now has a 2001 S40 with a cracked bumper cover. It was a slow speed accident that did not do any major damage (at least that is apparent) but it looks as if the bumper cover will need to be replaced. From the searching I have done, it looks like there is an "internal" reinforced bumper that is covered by the bumper cover. Aside from the broken pieces and the fact that the bumper has been pushed/moved about 1/2 inch from where it was, it doesn't appear to be too bad. My question is in reference to how big a deal is it to replace a bumper cover? Is it one piece or is it made up of several parts? Since there was no airbag deployment, can I basically assume that there was no damage to the internal bumper? SInce it happened last night I have not had a chance to look too closely at it. I'll do that today. I am not beyond trying to fix this myself but without a little more knowledge of what I am possibly getting into, I don't want to end up in a situation beyond my ability to fix. If it is something that can get complicated or require special tools, I'll probably just take it to a repair shop.

Thanks for any insights.

Reply to
Zack Kennedy

Behind the bumper cover are 3 pieces of impact absorbing plastic or foam, behind them a metal bar or 2 that support them. Depending on the hit, all of that stuff could be damaged or bent, in addition to the brackets that attach it all to the frame rails, and maybe even the collapsible area of the frame too. This all works as a system, and is designed to absorb energy, not limit damage. To determine just how serious it is, you need someone with experience to look at it. Most body shops will give free estimates, that might be a good place to start.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for the info...exactly what I was looking for...I was guessing that this was a job for an experienced body person.

Reply to
Zack Kennedy

If you feel comfortable you can do this repair your self as the other posters have said it can not hurt to get an estimate from @ least 2 local body shops if they both state that just the cover is all then do it your self & save yourself some $$ even if the foam absorber is damaged it is easy to change once the cover is off Glenn ASE Certified Automotive Technician Volvo Master Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein