Hybrid MPG?

Duh, hybrids use gas at a rate just slightly less than a conventionally powered vehicle. The most cost effective way to reduce ones fuel consumption and hold down the price of gasoline is to simply drive less.

I'm not against hybrids, for those that want to buy them. It is their money, they can spend it where they choose. They can spend it on the purchase price or for gas, as they wish. For me one who buys a new vehicle every other year, I do not see the sense of the average buyer paying a premium price, that will buy ALL of the gas for a conventionally powered car, for the time that the average buyer in the US keep their vehicle. If one feels they want to save the planet or whatever that is up to the buyer, who is willing to pay the price.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yeah, I'm laughing too. Have a nice time finding new parts for that prehistoric animal of yours. I hope there's a salvage yard nearby.

Reply to
mark digital

Quoting a milage life for a hybrid's battery is quite amusing, but it does keep it simple. Battery life is more a function of the number of charges and time. Time will be a big factor for many car drivers. All rechargeable batteries lose capacity over time, usually being a significant loss at half life. So assuming an 8 yr life (a stretch) after 4 yrs the hybrid will be less effective due to less battery capacity. Obviously battery life will be a very significant factor in the used value of hybrid vehicles.

Reply to
who

I have no problem finding parts for any of the half dozen old cars I own from new. The oldest is a '41 the newest an '83. As to my two daily drivers, I buy a new one every year and sell the one that is two years old, or give it to a relative. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If and when we find a Prius with a dead battery, we'll let you know. Don't hold your breath.

Reply to
dh

Oh, no. Mike owns v-e-r-y late-model Fords as his daily drivers. After all, who'd want to be relying on Ford for actual transportation?

Reply to
dh

That is not true for all rechargable batteries; that's what Toyota says is the reason they chose NiMH over LiIon (which has life limitations).

In the Yahoo Prius group the group owner has over 180K miles on his 2001 Prius with no codes thrown on his hybrid battery. No battery has been known to have failed or suffered reduced capacity from age, even though the Prius has been sold in Japan for 8 1/2 years. A few have exhibited symptoms of cracked internal connections.

Overall, the Toyota hybrid battery is far more reliable than any automatic transmission. I can't understand the obsession with it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It probably wasn't economic sense, it's probably the fact that the Camry sits higher than the Prius, which would make it easier for for someone who's either elderly, disabled, or both to get in and out of the car. I know, I have a friend who broke his hip (he's 81) and has trouble getting in and out of cars. The lower the car sits, the harder it is.

That being said, I'm really glad Toyota has so many choices now. I mean, how many other auto makers (besides Honda) could you even discuss WHICH hybrid you'd like?

Jonathan

Replace "nospam" with "telis" to reply.

Reply to
Jonathan Eckman

Did we ever get any real world numbers for what mpg folks are getting on the Highlander and Camry Hybrids?

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Let me guess: Someone driving a Prius ran over your puppy, and that's what made you go nutso, right?

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Oh you silly penny wise and pound foolish little man.

Reply to
mark digital

Not me. But I read the "observed" mpg was 37 compared to 31 for the conventional 4 cylinder Camry. The author of the article was impressed by the "pull" of the car, noting the combined horsepower. Trunk space, for those having to dispose of a body ;) might find it alarming the hybrid has about 5 cu feet less. But there's still 10 cu feet if your victims are midgets. Seriously though, the 5 cu feet used for the batteries is logical and rational. I'm sure many people drive around with at least that amount in trash without even knowing they are. If you're one who hates taking time off from work to get your car repaired you'll be happy knowing starter and transmission problems are virtually non-existent for a Toyota hybrid. The longevity of it's exhaust system is awesome.

Reply to
mark digital

If you haven't noticed, his signature winky eye means he's playing Devil's Advocate. Don't be too harsh with him. I find he's fun to have around.

Reply to
mark digital

Quite a few people have posted reviews on Edmunds and several mentioned mileage. One guy claims 44 mpg on one tankful but he was doing things like deliberately riding the brakes (or should I say, "regenerators") downhill. One review I noticed was somewhat unfavorable. The rest were all highly positive.

I like to prop 'em up in the front seat. That way, I get to use the HOV lane.

Prius owners report their brakes last forever, too, as the regenerators provide a lot of the stopping.

Reply to
DH

Check with an insurance adjuster they have a replacement cost listed, of $5,500, to replace battery packs damaged in a collision. That will give one an idea of the value of an 8 year old Pruis with an expired battery pack. Unless, like many Toyota owners, you think Toyotas never fail..

By the way that replacement cost is for a one year old Pruis. Like all battery replacement costs, the insurance company has it prorated. For the hybrid batteries it is over seven years. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Isn't envy one of the deadly sins? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Has anybody heard and real world numbers about how long will it take to earn back the $7,000 cost premium, at an extra six MPG? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, he did answer a question with a question didn't he? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I got get one of these, first we hear the batteries last forever and now the brakes last forever. Never mind. I'm eighty and I will not last forever. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It's an extra 3 to 6 on the highway. The around-town improvement is much more significant. What you save will depend on where and how you drive and what gas prices are. Oil was $73/barrel today. $4/gallon, anyone?

You have claimed to be some sort of engineer. I'm surprised you don't seem to grasp the utility of slowing by recapturing the kinetic energy as electrical potential, rather than pissing it away as heat, which is going on all the time in city driving.

And the $7K premium is over the base Camry. The Hybrid is equipped much more like an XLE and has nearly the combined HP of the XLE-V6. The "premium" may be less than $3K. Of course, you may also have to wait a bit to get one.

Toyota's all broken up that you haven't endorsed their hybrids, you know. They're crying their eyes out on the way to the bank.

Reply to
dh