Ignition Wire , Starter , AC problems

Hi,

My friend who owns a 1998 Toyota Corolla driven 120000 miles recently had problems with his car starting up. Seems like the starter was broken, although he stretched the car for a few days this way. Recently, when he was driving the car wouldnt stop firing and even if he tried would not shut down. Eventually the ignition wire burnt out leaving a lot of smoke behind.

The car technitian said that the malfunctioning starter caused the ignition wire to burn out and replaced both of them. This was fine, but there is another problem now where when the AC is started , the compresser locks and the engine stops.

Was just wondering if someone can point to what could be the problem here or any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks, vivekian

Reply to
vivekian

Are you certain that the AC compressor is frozen, or by pushing the accelerator pedal a bit to increase engine speed can you keep it running? Do you hear any "belt squeal"? It could be that the engine rpm is not being increased when the compressor is started and that stalls the engine. Please provide a bit more information.

Reply to
user

It sound likes the AC compressor is seized. If this is the case, the proper fix is to slush the system out and replace the compressor and receiver/drier. By any chance, did your friend refill the AC refrigerant with a do-it-yourself kit?

Reply to
Ray O

No, i dont think he changed the AC refrigerant on his own nor did a mechanic. There is another thing which has been bothering me is that the AC was working just fine till the ignition wire burnt out. Could that have anything to do with this ? Have a feeling that it could be the replacement wire has not been installed properly or the burning out of the ignition wire caused the AC to seize ?

Thanks.. vivekian

Reply to
vivekian

Havnt tried that as yet, but i will ask him to do that. From what i had seen, the car was started and was in the parking gear. Now after a few seconds when the AC was started, the compresser would lock and the car stop subsequently. Also, the AC had not given him any problems earlier. Its only after the burning of the ignition wire that this has happened.

Reply to
vivekian

No, i dont think he changed the AC refrigerant on his own nor did a

I think you need to go along with your friend to listen to the technician's diagnosis and explanation because I think something is getting lost in the relaying of information. For example, "ignition wire" can be a wire to the ignition switch, or a primary or secondary circuit wire, or a high tension wire. Also, I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say that the AC compressor "locked." The term "locked" implies that the compressor is seized and the compressor shaft will not rotate. Is this what you mean? If the compressor is seized, you would probably hear the drive belt squeal. It is normal for the magnetic clutch to engage when the AC is turned on, and idle speed should increase slightly.

Reply to
Ray O