Ignition, Starter or Electrical Problem?

I have a ?96 Corolla 4 door 3 speed automatic sedan. We just replaced the battery about 3 weeks ago, and only after that had this problem. When turning the key in the ignition, on occasion, nothing will happen. The panel lights go on; all the electrical devices work with the ACC setting, like the radio, but absolutely nothing happens with the starter motor or engine. This doesn't happen all the time. The amount of time the car is sitting around unused doesn't seem to be a variable. The weather has been fairly cold here, we live in Wisconsin. Trying it after slamming the door and/or moving the transmission stick on the floor a few times seems to help, it will start right up, at least so far.

Any ideas? Is there some sort of switch that detects if the transmission stick isn?t in park that may be the cause? Maybe a loose wire or connection or something burned out or damaged when the battery was replaced?

TIA for any suggestions.

Gary E

Reply to
Gary A. Edelstein

had the same problem . have a 97 corolla with the 3 speed auto 88000 miles. it was a.bad starter. the dealer wanted 450 to replace the starter. checked with a local garage with a good reputation and they charged me 208. mine would only do it every now and then. most of the time if you tried it 3 or 4 times it would finally turn over.had it replaced about a month ago and hasn't done it since.

Reply to
Dave Dave

Dear Fellow Corolla Driver,

I have a 99 Corolla and have a similar problem. When I turn the key, sometimes it starts like a charm - other times, the car is dead; other times, the car barely starts. The battery is less than 1 year old, so I doubt it's the battery. I suspected the ignition switch, which I replaced last week. It seemed to fix the problem -- but sure enough, yesterday, the problem came back suddenly.

Did you ever identify the problem?

Joe Gary A. Edelste> I have a '96 Corolla 4 door 3 speed automatic sedan. We just replaced

Reply to
Corolla Guy