Interesting afternoon I had...

I went out to get some 'stuff', and then to the Salvation Army (I *GOTTA* stay away from that place!) and located a decent bag for my camera. I was going to take the highway home, but at the last minute decided to take one of the old "State" highways, just because it's a nice ride.

Now, consider I was going downtown to get a gallon of milk, but took my camera anyway, thinking to myself, You never know when an opportunity may happen...

How I wound up 25 miles from the store...

So, I drive about 5 miles up the highway, and did a double-take...then turned around! In a parking area on the side of the road, in front of a quite pristine garage, was a Bentley Speed 6, a six and a half litre, wooden bodied car made in the early 1930's. "Jon Steed" drove one in the Avengers.

I was going to hop out and start shooting pictures, but I figured I'd ask first. I went into the garage and was overwhelmed! There were parts everywhere, but located next to the chassis they were going to be assembled to....then I noticed a hood sitting on the ground...the shape oddly familiar to pictures I had seen in magazines on the Internet and in books and magazines. "Is..is that an ALLARD hood?" The answerr was, yes, and all these are Allards. There were two frames, one completely stripped and redone, and one redone with the trunk section mathing the hood on the floor. The third was complete. In front of the complete Allard was an almost complete MG, ca. 1934, minus the engine. I had an interesting talk with the owner of the garage, and then went outside, where he lifted the bonnet and let me take pics to my heart's content of the Bentley. I would have taken some shots of the Allards, but it wasnt' too big a shop, and I could just imagine tripping over something trying to line up a shot and wrecking the place...

I posted two pics in alt.binaries.images.fun under the header "M.Bentley faits des camions le plus vite du Monde", a slam made by Bugatti, who hated Bentley. For those who don't know French, what he said was...

"Mister Bentley builds the fastest TRUCKS in the world."...!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Another Bugatti story....One time Signor Bugatti was being interviewed about his legendary cars, and the interviewer said "Some people say that your Bugattis don't have very good brakes...." To which Commendatore Bugatti loudly proclaimed "Any IDIOT can make a car to stop.....I make cars that GO!"

Reply to
mack

Cool. Digital or film?

Reply to
mark digital©

I had heard that being attributed to Mr. Ferrari.

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

I wonder, did you ever check out the car display at Yankee Candle?

Reply to
tom418

You are kidding, right? ;)

My son got bitten early, too. At 3 years old I thought I was going to have to put him on a leash! The people working at the place were going nuts, cause he kept looking like he was going to jump into a couple of them.

I have to admit...a chip off the ol' block. The one he liked the best was a 1972 Ferrari Dino that belonged to Mike Kitteridge...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Digital. After a LONG wait, I finally found a camera that I liked. Olympus. The only drawback is that it does not accept Olympus lenses, but at $125 for 6 MP, I'm not barking too much!

I have some others I posted there also, under Vash The Stampede... A couple from Old Deerfield.

Reply to
Hachiroku

(How I spent my Summer Vacation...)

If you are this easy to impress, let's hope you never come to L.A. any time soon "for a loaf of bread", we'll never get you to go home. Just for openers there's The Nethercutt Collection at San Sylmar, the Petersen Museum, Chuck Barris...

(For some people, it's watching the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl in glorious weather while they're up to their armpits in snow and ice that does it. Obviously, you have a slightly different trigger.)

Hell, one of these days I'll go find Jay Leno's "secret" garage over in Burbank and ogle. If he fires up the stationary steam engine he's restoring, I can triangulate with a parabolic microphone...

Not even going to bother looking - Earthlink's binaries have been b0rken for years. Got a webpage you can throw it up on?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Good man. Do (you) print many of the keepers?

Reply to
mark digital©

Hey Hachi....

Would you like a cherry SRT 101?

(with a working mercury battery)?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You're right! I'd have the equivalent of an Automotive Woody, esp with all the old Toyotas I see on the TV shows. Out here, it isn't that they break...they return to their Elemental Components!

Let me know...I'll fly out and meet you there! I envy that man like you wouldn't believe...not only was he bitten by the car bug, he has the money to scratch the itch!

One of these days...

Reply to
Hachiroku

WOULD I!!!! That was my first camera, the one the wife didn't give back! It worked very well. I tried to trade it in and the Salesperson at the camera place talked me out of it!

I misspeak...my first was a Hanimex Prakitka, made in E. Germany. I used that for years, and liked my roomate's 101T so much, I bought one. I miss it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I just got some new photo ink for my 7 year old Canon printer. I think it has a whopping 4 hours of use on it, since I used to use film only and would have my prints I wanted done well done at Hallmark Labs.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My progression.

Argus C3 (during the Navy times)

SRT 101 after the Navy

I've got 7 of them. I'll select one and get together with you on email to figure out where to send it.

I can't guarantee how long that mercury battery will last, but they sure as hell hang in there.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

That's fantastic! For some reason, my wife kept the camera but gave me back the spare lenses. I have a whole bagful of stuff for a Minolta, but no Minolta to put it on!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ahh, then the private museum at Spector Offroad is right up your alley - BJ40 based Japanese Fire Truck with 25K Km original on it...

People using 60's and 70's Toys as daily drivers, and all the gardeners with the vintage trucks.

Seeing a fairly new Rolls Royce in the Harbor Freight Tools lot...

The guy with the yellow Ferrari Dino... ($1.3M on the hoof.)

Going over the Cahuenga Pass on the 101 and spotting the 12-wheel triangular-axle LandMaster from the Mad Max movies sitting in the side yard at Jeffries Auto Styling on Cahuenga - Still runs, has a (340CI?) International V8.

People running around in Navistar CTX and Ford F-650 "pickups"...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

check estate sales, I see em every once in a while, $75 or so with lens and assy.

Reply to
dbu

When my brother took me on a white water rafting trip on the Colorado River in 2001, I took a SRT 101 on the trip. It worked fantastically. I have some outstanding shots.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

STOP!!!! Of course, we have a professor here who teaches at Amherst or Smith, has a Ferrari F40 (?), drives on the back roads and NEVER goes over

35MPH...!
Reply to
Hachiroku