Is This Too Much Oil ?

Just had an oil change at dealer - regular dino oil.

New oil level is pretty much the same with warm and cold motor.

Picture here:

marks the oil level. Is this too much oil ? Should I be worried that this is going to cause damage ? What damage, if any, can be caused by too much oil ?

Thanks

Reply to
boobie

"boobie" wrote in news:dj9iv7$51f$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.panix.com:

Hey bastard, mind telling us WHAT CAR THIS IS?

You've posted this identical message to quite a number of unrelated groups.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

The dealer put too much oil in or they did not drain all the oil out. Many people think that getting your oil changed at a dealer is better than an oil change shop, but usually the reverse is true.

Take it back and tell the dealer to fix it.

Reply to
Mark A

Yes, it's too much oil, no it shouldn't be a problem.

My guess is that your car takes 4.5 quarts for some silly reason, but the oil change guys put in 5 quarts because that's what most other cars take. If you like to not worry, go drain some out. I'm thinking you have less than a half quart too much. For you math wizzes out there, that's about 16 ounces or less.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Looks like a Ford dipstick and NOT a Yota dipstick - so it will burn off in next couple hundred miles --- not a problem on a Ford.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Doesn't look like the dipstick from any Ford I've owned, or checked for that matter. Some recent Fords include the "holes," but all the ones I've seen in that style also include a cross hatched area and text to indicate max an min (or full and add).

I don't think that much extra oil will be a problem.

BTW, I've never had a Ford that used much oil. The worst oil sucking car I ever owned that wasn't built in England was a Toyota.

Anyone that thinks their car doesn't consume oil is fooling themselves. The nature of piston engines guarantees that at least a little oil is used on every cycle of a cylinder. The oil level doesn't appear to go down because "stuff" is added to the oil by blow-by past the piston rings. A car that appears to use some oil, might actually be in much better condition than one that appears to not use oil at all. I've seen engines that actually appear to "make" oil because the compression rings are shot.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White