Is This Too Much Oil ?

Just had an oil change at dealer - regular dino oil.

New oil level is pretty much the same with warm and cold motor.

Picture here:

marks the oil level. Is this too much oil ? Should I be worried that this is going to cause damage ? What damage, if any, can be caused by too much oil ?

Thanks

Reply to
boobie

Yes.

No.

Significant overfilling will increase the chance of blowing seals and gaskets, but the amount you have should not be a problem IMO.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That amount of overfilling will slowly but surely be burnt off. Wouldn't worry.

Reply to
gazzafield

But why do dealers ALWAYS do this EVERY time??? That's why I've given up on dealers and do the oil/filter change myself.

Reply to
Johannes

id have to disagree with the reply's, you have level marks on the dipstick which is the minimum & maximum, you cant get any easier then that too determine if the oil level is too low or high, if you didn't need them they wouldn't be there & id say they have over filled it with oil, would you be happy if they put 10 psi more then should be in your tyres ?

Reply to
reg

The message from Johannes contains these words:

Because the manual says x litres of oil and that's what they put in. The fact that it'll never be completely drained doesn't bother 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

they shouldnt !.

Reply to
reg

I thought it was because oil usually comes in 5L cans, then they can write that on the bill and throw the empty can on the passenger seat...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

No they are right, that is not significantly excess level there. Indeed, on Alfas we used to overfill by that much, just to give customers a little leeway (they do burn it off quite quickly on those).

I have seen many engines overfilled with oil, but in 25 years in the trade I have only ever seen engines damaged by having not enough oil.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

They usually buy oil in bulk and it is pumped by compressed air to the service bays through a pipe with a rough measuring device on the trigger end.

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Even then I suspect the oil level was off the bottom of the dipstick. The dipstick marks give a safe leeway at both ends. Fill to the full mark and don't bother topping up until it hits the lower mark.

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw
[Snipped Text]

Yup. Although constantly running at the lower level could have long term effects, as the oil will run a little hotter.

Exactly my point about the overfill, they do allow a little for mechnanical morons to maintain their cars :-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Yes

Probably not.

1) Crankshaft webs dip into oil. Reduces power. 2) Oil up to level of oil seals. May cause oil to leak. 3) (if you put double the amount in!) Engine starts dieselling on its own oil and cannot be turned off until it self-destructs. Quite spectacular, apparently.
Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Because they either measure the oil in or (more likely) they fill it up, run it to fill the filter then do the final top up without waiting for the oil in the top of the engine to run back down to the sump. Time is money!

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

what would happen if a warranty arose & it was found the oil level was not correct on the dip stick, would the manufacture be happy with that ?

very true on that point.

Reply to
reg
[Snipped Text]

It depends on the manufacturer. With Fiat/Alfa, no they wouldn't be happy. Indeed, if they saw any evidence at all of running on low oil they would refuse a claim for an engine.

Honda OTOH, have paid for replacement engines, even though it is blatantly obvious that they've been run low (indeed, it is the *only* reason a Honda engine will fail).

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "boobie" saying something like:

Nah; probably only half a litre too much.

If there was a huge amount extra, you would get the oil whipped up into a foam by the crankshaft, and foamy oil doesn't get pumped around too well. I've heard of this happening, but never come across it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Stall the motor in top gear?

Reply to
Krycek

what i meant was over-filled, not under-filled

Reply to
reg
[Snipped Text]

I see, I couldn't answer that, as I said I've not seen an engine failure due to over-fill.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt