Leaky sunroof

I took my SR out a few years back. And I think I may have put it back in wrong or something. I has leaked ever since. But I didn't relate the leak to the SR until recently.

After a recent heavy rain I felt my headliner and it was soaked. But the funny thing is the water never stained it or came through the head liner (in an obvious way). It just traveled down the A pillar to the floor and I was looking for the leak at the seal on the driver's door...duh..

So, 2 years later, I now know where it's coming in. Yet I can't see and pinched seal or anything. Is there a trick to reinstalling a SR once you've taken it out.

It's an 01 camry with a factory SR if it matters...

thanks CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I think that there are drain tubes in each of the corners of the sunroof rail. Make sure that the drains are not blocked by poking a long piece of electrical wire until it comes out the bottom underneath the car.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:Baidnauhhpde54DanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That would be my suspicion as well. Those tubes are often plugged from undercoating, mud, or collision damage.

And use stranded electrical wire; it's more flexible and less apt to poke holes in the hoses.

Reply to
Tegger

Use compressed air first before you go poking around. Most plugs are usually near the bottom, gravity being the reason and road grime helping seal it off.

Reply to
user

It matters a LOT. After market SRs do not have the metal drain gutters built into the roof, like OEM SRs. After market SRs uses the seal itself, it has built in drain tubes to channel away the water to the "A" pillar.

If a OEM SR leaks it is probably because the seal deteriorated and needs to be replaced, since the leak is most likely where the glass contacts the seal, not where the seal meets the metal roof.

Place a piece of material between the glass and the seal. If you can pull it free, the seal should be replaced.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Use Low Pressure Air Only!! - use a regulator, and do not go over around 20 PSI. They use un-reinforced rubber hose for the drains. Too much pressure will burst them wherever the weakest spot is, like inside the door pillars. Or pop the hose off the splice at the sunroof gasket.

Then you have a much bigger problem on your hands, since you have to drop the headliner to reattach the hoses, or repair or replace one or more of the drain hoses, or replace the whole gasket around the sunroof if they blow right at the molded-on hose stubs where you can't fix it...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman