Looking for Advice on a Used 97 Avalon

I'm getting a used 97 Avalon XLS from a relative, with 82k miles. The car is in decent shape. Always garaged, most of the miles have been city stop and go with deep south summer heat to boot. Oil was changed by dealer every 3k with Castrol so I'm hoping it doesn't have the sludge problem.

The valve cover gaskets are leaking. Is this a common problem? The back one looks like plenty of fun to change.

Where can I get a shop manual?

Steering rack was replaced under warranty. Timing belt was done at

50k. Anything else to look for?

-RC

R.Clarke spam snipped-for-privacy@BlocKmindspring.com RTP, NC, USA

Reply to
RC

Check the suspension over bumps.

Reply to
Art

In over 130,000 miles of use, I've had two problems with my ('95) Avalon:

The p/s rack had a small leak. This problem was solved with Prestone "stop leak" P/S fluid two years ago. (I see yours had the same problem fixed by R/R of the rack. Good)

The other problem I have is with the power windows on the passenger side. These rufuse to go down when it's warm/hot. (They work fine in the dead of winter. Just when you need them ;) Aside from that- a great car.

Reply to
tom418

I have a 97 Avalon with 130,000 mile and I would check the p/s leak like Tom said and the O2 sensors... That $2 bottle of stop leak works wonders...

Da Ghost

Reply to
Da Ghost

"I was walking with Da Ghost I said, Please, please don't insist"

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Reply to
HachiRoku