88 Sub 40 gal tank capacity

I have an '88 Suburban with the 40gal fuel tank option (NE2). I drove it until it ran out of gas to see how much usable fuel is in the tank (cruising range). The fuel gauge went less thatn 1/16 below empty when it quit moving or bouncing around. Soon after the truck began stumbling briefly on accelaration or hard turns. I've run fuel drier through the system so I don't believe it was sucking up water.

When I topped off the tank it only took 35gallons. Previously I ran it down to the empty mark and it took 32gal so filling volume is fairly consistent.

Anyone else have this expererience? Do the 40gal tanks typically have a much lower usable capacity?

-RC

PS. I'll be changing the filter soon and cutting it open to see how much crap I sucked off the bottom of the tank. R.Clarke spam snipped-for-privacy@BlocKmindspring.com RTP, NC, USA

Reply to
R Clarke