Matrix for an Xa?

Hello Toyotaers...

I currently own a Matrix XRS that I'm paying too much for. Both in monthly payments and in gas. I only put premium as that is what's recommended and I'm not going against it for fear that enough knock and ping will eventually ruin the engine.

A while back, I asked the Toyota dealer about the possibility of switching to an xA because I like the body style--like a tiny Matrix... and it's cheaper. The mpg doesn't look that different but at least I won't be subjected to Premium only.

He asked what I currently drove and I told him that I drove a Matrix XRS. Then he said "oh, you're going to hate the xA if you're currently driving an XRS. So with that advice, I stopped thinking about the xA and continued to enjoy my Matrix, which I do like.

Then my wife bought an xB. Then I got to drive it and.... *fun, fun, fun* what an amazing little car--nowhere near as gutless as the dealer led me to believe--I don't know what that guy was talking about--race cars!?!. I can't drive the XRS in all its fury anyway--I've taken the XRS to 120mph--no problem! but it's against the law so what's the point? I'm not really using all of its features--the extra room in the back and I got a bike rack anyway--which will fit on an xA just fine. I told my wife, "honey, getting in and out of the freeway (in Ca.) will be this things real test" -- ha! no problem! while her xB didn't snap out quite like the XRS, we darted out as quick as I'd want to dart out on a busy freeway.

I can only imagine that the xA might have better performance than the xB because it's smaller. The advantage is that it's cheaper than the what I currently owe on my XRS and can actually afford to modify it -- roll bars, chip, shocks, clutch...

What do you folks think?

- Alex

Reply to
alex.cordero

Sorry for top posting...OE at work...

The xA is basicall a Tercel/Echo, 1.5L made for economy. If you're happy with the acceleration in the xB, yu should be happy with the xA.

What kind of economy are you getting with the xB? I can only tell you, I was getting 45 MPG in a '95 Tercel, same engine, with an Auto. If you 'row your own' 5 speed, you should do well.

They are cool looking. If I were 20 years younger, i would go for it. But my LHS spoiled me for size. It is a little small. For a second car that doesn't have to haul anything, I would definitely look at it!

Sell me your XRS, eh? I *LIKE* the acceleration!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yes... the XRS does have some impressive acceleration -- but it mostly shines with really expensive gasoline. Nowadays, it's just not worth it. Gas was at 2.21 for Premium when I bought it in 04. I bitched about it then because I didn't know it performed best with premium only. I just didn't think to ask when I bought it.

I almost returned it but now I'm used to it. It still sucks though--shame... it's such a fun and versataile little car. The Matrix has proven itself to be a decent Home Depot stuff hauler...

Reply to
alex.cordero